• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why silicon-based life is so unlikely

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
11:22 PM
Reaction score
The first 15 minutes is an interesting discussion about the element molybdenum. The discussion about silicon and life based on it begins at 16 minutes into the discussion.

Star trek next generation. Life discovered on some planet was silicon based. and the life forms called humans, (ugly bags of water) hey! I resemble that remark!! LOL!

F next generation:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Star trek next generation. Life discovered on some planet was silicon based. and the life forms called humans, (ugly bags of water) hey! I resemble that remark!! LOL!
Funny you should mention that. They bring that up in the video.

I posted the video after someone in another thread argued there could be life on another planet.

Does sentient AI count as "silicon based"?

That episode actually turned me off of pizza and lasagna for a few months after I saw it back in the mid 1970's.

No, it’s just a lack of curiosity….

Life on another planet, silicone based on hot, is a possibility. Why? You can’t prove me wrong! Anything is possible. Just because you can’t see it or on paper prove it, it doesn’t mean it can happen or exist.

Why not silicon? There must be some sort of chemistry balance that would enable it. After all, we've seen plenty of other weird things, such as the octopus using copper based blood instead of iron based like almost everything else. Or iron shelled snails: https://www.ripleys.com/weird-news/...,iron, it’s dark knight of Camelot black iron.

There have also been theories that stars could become living and sentient. They have a circulatory system in the form of convection, energy, and electrical system and could have a magnetic storage memory. Sci-fi stories on this matter include 'Whipping Star' by Frank Herbert, 'Star Maker' by Olaf Stapledon or 'The World At The End Of Time' byFrederik Pohl. In the Dr. Who series, the 10th doctor encountered a sentient star that could react and feel pain.

Then there are peculiarities such as bacteria that feed off of pure electricity. https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25894-meet-the-electric-life-forms-that-live-on-pure-energy/

Why not silicon? There must be some sort of chemistry balance that would enable it. After all, we've seen plenty of other weird things, such as the octopus using copper based blood instead of iron based like almost everything else.
The answer is fully explained in the video. We're only addressing silicon-based life forms in this thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back