• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window Regulator to Glass Sliders

terrywalker

Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
This is on a 72 Challenger but I see the 71-72 Chargers have the same type of slider. I posted on two E-body sites but didn't get an answer so I thought I would ask here as they are very similar. A search here had someone with a similar situation on a B-body but no answers. I asked him how it went and am waiting for a response. The sliding plastic piece on the end of the regulator arm is worn and the other is broken so they don't slide in the window channel properly. I can remove the old ones by grinding off the peened peg on the back of the arm. My question is; what have others done to peen the peg flat on the new roller? You can see a new white one in photo. See photos. Thank you for any information.
Terry W.

Door Regulator Sliders.jpg

Door Regulator Slider 2.jpg

Door Regulator Slider 1.jpg

Last edited:
I dont have an answer for you but I am interested in what someone might say because I am getting ready to try and put the side glass in my 71 Charger and will most likely encounter a similar issue.

I bit the bullet and replaced the slider piece myself taking it slow. I ground off the peened over peg on the old slider and removed it by lightly tapping with a punch and hammer. It came out easy. I installed the new slider/peg into the arm and laid the plastic side down on a 1/2" steel plate so as not to break the new slider plastic piece. With the peg up, I used a center punch and using a ball peen hammer, I lightly punched a mark in the center of the peg. I then used the ball peen hammer (ball side) and sharply tapped on the peg several times. This mushroomed the peg tightly in the arm. I continued to peen the peg over until it was a rounded hump covering the entire hole in the arm. It is very snug now.
Terry W.

Regulator Window Slider 3.jpg

One thing to emphasize when I did this. I used a couple pieces of lumber to get the regulator arm level so the new slider was flat on the metal plate. This was to prevent the peg from peening over sideways in the hole, if the slider had not been flat on the metal plate. The metal ball stud in the plastic is flush with the plastic face so the ball is in contact with the metal plate.
Terry W.

Auto Transport Service
Back