• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield gasket?

Terry Kitzman

Local time
2:15 PM
Reaction score
Is it worth it to go with Steele rubber products over Sofseal and others? I'm getting ready to install the glass in my 66- Charger, And I'm not a pro.

Can't say much on the difference between the two but will suggest researching how to install it before you dig in. Probably completely different since mine is a 69 but after 3 attempts at sealing mine (they installed it) I gave up on the pros. They never researched it, I bought the recommended bedding compound and got it the first time... Messy as hell!

Pop the gasket onto the car using soapy water and a couple of blunt trim tools. Run butyl rope in gasket channel while having assistant hold zipper/glass channel apart. Install glass into gasket with assistant. Get caulk gun and have assistant peel back gasket from car body using blunt trim tools and apply bead of butyl/bedding compound as close to the fence/gasket interface as possible. Having an assistant is paramount. This is just one of many methods out there. I'm thinking you have a gasketed windshield. If not.....ignore.

I have done it on a 49 chevy truck with split windshield we used a string as you stated. The glass in the truck was flat glass. The thing I would like to know is it worth the extra expense to buy Steele products? Thanks.

My car I roped in the rear glass. The windshield has a zipper style gasket where you install the gasket onto the car and then the glass into the gasket. Later cars bed into an adhesive. Not sure what yours has.

I prefer Precision Products for the window seals.

For a 66-67 B-Body hardtop application, I would say go with the Precision WCRD671B gasket. Your either buying a Precision or a Steele piece, no matter which vendor you choose. The Precision gasket will be at least half the price and we have sold thousands of the Precision gaskets with very few issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back