• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Removal 70 Charger

rklewis1005

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:17 PM
Reaction score
Well I thought I was going slow and careful and still managed to crack the bottom driver side of the windshield. I have access to a parts car, so I think I can get a replacement easily.

I'm using plastic tools lots of soap & water and hadn't even started pushing yet. Was only running the plastic tools around the outside edge of the windshield.

I was trying to save the OEM gasket around the windshield when I probably should have just cut it out.

Is it really better to use the OEM gasket? I may cut it out to see if I can save this one - thoughts?

PXL_20240720_220048437.jpg

I bought a new one for my 70, and make sure if you buy one do a search on our site. They are not all the same. Some are junk.

I bought a new one for my 70, and make sure if you buy one do a search on our site. They are not all the same. Some are junk.
New windshield or gasket?

I bought both do to bad windshield, and some say put sealer in the top corners when installing

That sucks. Took me probably an hour and a bit to pull a 71 Satellite out. Almost went to get the wife to help and realized that would mean I was in a hurry. Did it slowly. I'm gonna put the old gasket in a pillow case and run it through the dryer to soften it up when the time comes.

That sucks. Took me probably an hour and a bit to pull a 71 Satellite out. Almost went to get the wife to help and realized that would mean I was in a hurry. Did it slowly. I'm gonna put the old gasket in a pillow case and run it through the dryer to soften it up when the time comes.
I probably spent 2 hours easy going slow and running the plastic tool under the gasket inside & outside.

Anyone have good luck with replacement windshields? What vendor makes the best or worst?

Anyone have luck with a repair kit for cracks?

I bought from AMD,was told that the windshields today might be a little thinner then the stock oem ones.

I like to save the original gaskets, hard to find a good original these days.

I bought from AMD,was told that the windshields today might be a little thinner then the stock oem ones.

Interesting. It was true in the case of the rear window.
Glass 02.jpg

Glass 16 B.jpg

Glass 16 C.jpg

The front could also be thinner but still close enough to work. I've never pulled a windshield from a B body that was worth keeping. I pulled one from my red car to have a new one installed. It didn't crack but it wasn't worth saving so I tossed it. I had a new gasket that I bought way back in 2002. The windshield installer used no sealant and mine ended up leaking. I got tired of dealing with that so I pulled it to do it myself. It is not an easy job for a first timer but I still forged ahead. The factory service manual spells out the procedure. I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics but I thought they stated to use sealant across the bottom and 12" up each side. There are a few types of sealants, some are non hardening, others are like the stuff they use on new cars where there is no gasket. That stuff will seal it up but forget about re-using the gasket if the windshield needs to be replaced....it absolutely bonds to everything and may be impossible to remove from the rubber gasket without damage.
I think 3M 8609 was the number of the urethane stuff...

Glass 37.jpg

Glass 16 C.jpg

It's a difficult job saving boh glass and gasket . Especially if the gasket is old and hard or if the windshield was glued in. The deep black in the corner of your picture looks like it's glued in but maybe it's just the lighting. These late 60s Bodies require sealer between the body and gasket, it's in the fsm. Pilkington glass was 0.25 inches last summer when I installed mine. Modern glass is about 0.20. it is doubtful a glass guy will have non hardening sealant in his van, you would need to request it.

I guess the million dollar question for the next one is it better to save the windshield or gasket (both seems near impossible). For the back window - I'm going to focus on glass.

Should I still try and save the windshield & gasket or give up on one or the other - aka hammer or knife :) ?

Anyone ever patch a crack - it's small in the bottom corner. Are the new windshields good enough that I should give up on the glass and save.the gasket?

I have access to a rusted parts car (700 miles away). I'm going to inspect the.windshield on that one in October when I'm there (and snag a couple other items).

Thanks all for the advice

Back window is out - time to revisit Windshield.

Thinking I'll cut gasket and try to get out windshield without further breakage. Good practice anyway.

17215925771815147789893123914510.jpg

I remember one time I went to remove the back window in Jigsaw....

XH 224.jpg

Reuse your rear glass if possible. I haven't heard of any good recommendations for a new one. They all seem to have the wrong curve.

I have an AMD branded rear window in the red car, Ginger.....

RW 40.JPG

Glass 37 B.jpg

It fit great, the trim lays better than it did before.

Your windshield is cracked, get a new one. My original gasket wasn't torn and wasn't hard so I reused it with pilkington glass

Auto Transport Service
Back