• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wont start

19 69 GTX

Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
68 charger 383..won't start unless I pour fuel into carb and then stays running and revs fine. If I pump gas while it's not running no fuel shoots out. Changed the accelerator pump and same issue.

What type of carb? 2 bbl, 4 bbl? Carter Holley?

If a Carter AVS like original then:
Take top off carb
Remove squirter nozzle, 2 screws.
In the passage below the squirter is a brass check weight, get that out, don't lose it. Now clean out the passages to the float bowl and the squirter nozzle.

Was it running not too long ago ?
Maybe check your oil level and make sure the fuel pump is not dumping gas into the oil pan

So, you're saying the carb basically works fine but only while the engine is running?

Sounds like he might be getting fuel evaporation or drain back. Loses the fuel and takes a while to get the pump to fill up the line. Check the fuel pump, fuel pump push rod.

68 charger 383..won't start unless I pour fuel into carb and then stays running and revs fine. If I pump gas while it's not running no fuel shoots out. Changed the accelerator pump and same issue.
THe guys have been asking. When do you need to pour gas down the carb? Please explain.

He says the accelerator pump doesn't work.

If he puts gas down the carb it runs fine.

It doesn't need a fuel pump pushrod, a mini starter, the amp gauge bypass or muffler bearings. LOL

3E827CD8-1B91-4027-B260-738F4C7BAD51.jpeg

It might not if he is trying to start it after it has sat a few days to a week and the gas has evaporated out of the carb. THat's why I asked the question.
Yep, no gas in the carb, pour some down the carb and start it up. The carb will fill up fast when the engine is running.
It doesn't need a fuel pump pushrod, a mini starter, the amp gauge bypass or muffler bearings. LOL
It might need a fuel pump pushrod but that isn't the issue according to his list of symptoms. We still need to find out when the problem occurs. Your last sentence is just funny!
:rofl: :rofl:

View attachment 1722187

This is a quote "I pour fuel into carb and then stays running and revs fine." And another "If I pump gas while it's not running no fuel shoots out". Now with that said, either no fuel is getting to the carb and or it could be the accelerator pump which i doubt is the issue. That could be the cause of no squirt but so could be an empty carb. An empty carb could be a fuel pump. Just some food for thought. Not saying either is the issue just offering ideas.

If the accelerator pump was working then it would rev fine. If the accelerator pump was shot it would bog and run like ****. Sooo your comment about everyone else Or apparently just me, not making any sense is retarded.

Last edited:
This is a quote "I pour fuel into carb and then stays running and revs fine." And another "If I pump gas while it's not running no fuel shoots out". Now with that said, either no fuel is getting to the carb and or it could be the accelerator pump. That could be the cause of no squirt but so could be an empty carb. An empty carb could be a fuel pump. Just some food for thought. Not saying either is the issue just offering ideas.
There's a part of the story that has been left out. :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:

Fuel bowls are full of fuel and set properly. Car will not start unless I pour fuel into carb. Runs fine after starting. It has to be something in the carb, maybe it's been taken apart before me. Think I'll borrow a carb and see what happens..quickest way to blame the carb

Auto Transport Service
Back