• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1956 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer 2 Door

jayfromla

Local time
1:27 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

New here. I recently purchased a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal 2 door coupe from a junkyard. The car is pretty intact. Plan on restoring it with my Dad and Daughter. I have been looking everywhere for information on the car but am hitting dead ends. Maybe some of you know? From my research, the plate reads Body: 836 Paint: 263 Trim: 545 Sp: 2 which shows that the car was three colors. White on top, black and aquamarine. Inside the dash and interior has gold. From research, only the golden lancers came with the interior golden. Car has 80,000 original miles. Today I cleaned some of the engine up and found out it’s a Super Red Ram. No D-500 decals. Any information would be appreciated!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I purchased a 12v battery, connected it, turned the key (didn't crank it of course) just to test the power and what worked on the car. Everything works on the car. Blinkers, headlights, tail lights, high beams, radio, horn etc. It's amazing! Gas tank was already drained previously, oil and transmission fluid was changed just a few years before it ended up at the junk yard. Going to change the fluids out, tune up and try to start her up soon.

IMG_5682.jpeg

IMG_2123.jpeg

IMG_5770.jpeg

IMG_5902.jpeg

IMG_5944.jpeg

IMG_5945.jpeg

IMG_5943.jpeg

IMG_5946.jpeg

IMG_6056.jpeg

IMG_6036.jpeg

Last edited:
Great find.
Sorry, I can't give any useful information. But looks like a good candidate for family time.
Fun fact.
It's sister car , the Kingsway for export , was used in the hit movie by the baddie.

1724148105787.png
1724148181105.png

Hey everyone,

New here. I recently purchased a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal 2 door coupe from a junkyard. The car is pretty intact. Plan on restoring it with my Dad and Daughter. I have been looking everywhere for information on the car but am hitting dead ends. Maybe some of you know? From my research, the plate reads Body: 836 Paint: 263 Trim: 545 Sp: 2 which shows that the car was three colors. White on top, black and aquamarine. Inside the dash and interior has gold. From research, only the golden lancers came with the interior golden. Car has 80,000 original miles. Today I cleaned some of the engine up and found out it’s a Super Red Ram. No D-500 decals. Any information would be appreciated!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I purchased a 12v battery, connected it, turned the key (didn't crank it of course) just to test the power and what worked on the car. Everything works on the car. Blinkers, headlights, tail lights, high beams, radio, horn etc. It's amazing! Gas tank was already drained previously, oil and transmission fluid was changed just a few years before it ended up at the junk yard. Going to change the fluids out, tune up and try to start her up soon.

View attachment 1713921

View attachment 1713922

View attachment 1713923

View attachment 1713924

View attachment 1713925

View attachment 1713926

View attachment 1713927

View attachment 1713928

View attachment 1713930

View attachment 1713932
very cool car... and don't forget there are really no rules to what car got what back then.. you could go into a dealer and tell them i want X model with X interior and X motor and it would pretty much happen.

great find looks like a good project keep us posted on your progress

I thought Super Red Ram meant 4 barrel, either Poly or Hemi. Yours should be a 315 Poly, D500 was 315 Hemi.
You can find plenty of info on forwardlook.net as mentioned, and also there’s a forward look section on .forcbodiesonly.com.

Good luck with your project! Super Red Ram would be a 315 Poly, Red Ram would be a 270 Poly. I have a '55 Coronet Lancer, with a '57 392 Hemi. I cannot answer the tag questions, but I may be able to answer other question you may have.

20180316_130531.jpg

Good luck with your project! Super Red Ram would be a 315 Poly, Red Ram would be a 270 Poly. I have a '55 Coronet Lancer, with a '57 392 Hemi. I cannot answer the tag questions, but I may be able to answer other question you may have.

View attachment 1714113
I have a ‘57 and I thought I remembered reading 2 barrel = Red Ram and 4 barrel = Super Red Ram. According to this link, we’re both right:
Viewing a thread - The short history of the Dodge Red Ram engine name 1953-60
They changed it up every model year, for ‘56 Red Ram = 270 while Super Red Ram = 315.
In ‘57 it was Red Ram = 325 2 barrel and Super Red Ram = 325 4 barrel.

I never knew they made so many different size polys

Plymouth and Canada had different c.i. poly engines as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back