• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 clutch hard to push in

rayhandloser

Local time
8:03 PM
Reaction score
I had the 383 rebuilt & now the clutch is very hard to push down. The clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing are all new. Could something be binding up? Releasing the clutch is very hard & the car lurches forward. Thank for any help.

I had the 383 rebuilt & now the clutch is very hard to push down. The clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing are all new. Could something be binding up? Releasing the clutch is very hard & the car lurches forward. Thank for any help.
Is the over-centre spring installed?

What clutch did you install. Sounds like you have a pressure plate that requires a lot more effort. I remember my old Coronet R/T when I put a racing Shaffer[sp] clutch in it. That was hard on the leg esp when you were cruising around town.

Sounds like a Borg & Beck 3-finger. Was the clutch removed a diaphragm? The 3-finger requires a heavy overcenter spring. Also, did you resurface the flywheel?

Need to know for sure what clutch you had installed.

It's s diaphragm type pressure plate. Where is the over-centre spring? Under the dash? Under the car by the throw out bearing? I've adjusted the the bolt on the throw out bearing from one end to the other. No change. There are three holes on the Z bar. The spring is on the lowest one. The fly wheel was resurfaced. Thanks for all the replies.

Well, the diaphragm is easy to push in, and requires the overcenter spring be removed, it's in the framework above the clutch pedal. Something is off, without being there and being the one that put it together, not sure what to tell you. Just check everything. It's possible you have a bad pressure plate, but I doubt it. Sorry that I can't really help you, keep looking for something, may have to take it back apart.

Auto Transport Service
Back