• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's it Worth 1968 Coronet 318

44070dart

Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
1968 dodge coronet 440 (model) 318 v8 , auto trans and 8 3/4 rear with highway gears. This is a turn key car. Runs and drives amazing, every piece of the front end is brand new! Has power steering and power brakes. Paint and body are in outstanding shape. All original metal, including floors and trunk, 1 repaint within the last 15 years... I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buy the Coronet .. BUT worth 33k ??

461578053_10232944103294460_7198104546830937173_n.jpg

461770758_10232944093534216_6877676912689658355_n.jpg

Last edited:
25 to 30 grand would be where I would value that car. At the end of the day a 318 car is still a 318 car,second generation Chargers and 70/71 e body cars are the exceptions to the rule.

Hagerty valuation only list the Coronet 500 for a 318 application. The Coronet 440 only shows a 225 or 273. Anyhow 25 is probably a realistic price. I like the car and don't be afraid to offer 25 and be firm.

Screenshot_20241007-173602-440.png

I think 25k-27k is about right. The 318 would make a a reliable cruiser, but lacking power. But its easier to do a power train swap to a 440, than to do the bodywork/paint/and interior on a rotted out big block car.

She's a looker imo, great color combo. Have to draw a line somewhere, but I'd pay $3-5k more for this vs a green or tan one in a heartbeat

I'm sure it was available, but the Hagerty valuation tool had no option. Perhaps Hagerty had no data to support a value for the 440 model with a 318?
I've seen that every now and then on Hagerty for other models. I've also seen certain models where the Hagerty valuation does not reflect the actual market. A guy has to be diligent when valuing a car.

Lately, I've seen several cars where the seller has a different view of the value than I do. That doesn't stop me from contacting them and getting a feel for how firm they are. People I've dealt with lately have been pretty firm on their price.

I'm not surprised at all that they're asking $33k for that 68 @44070dart . That's a beautiful ride. Exceptional body and paint and all new front end puts it in that range. I agree that the 318 is what holds the value back. At the end of the day, the seller decides what the price is, and he has to find that buyer. I'd like to see you make a deal that you like - that's a beautiful ride!

Damn that car is a beauty. I have a personal fondness for that year. I wonder if you showed up with a bag of $28k cash, you'd be driving that beauty home.

These past couple years I've seen prices climb to amounts I find difficult to deal with. $30K plus for everyday A-bodies which pushes B's to a even higher level. My insurance company sent me a note about my '68 Charger that it was under insured. This car looks really nice, but I have to drive almost 300 miles to go see it, leaving the negotiations a little difficult. Driving that far, sure makes it look like I'm super hot for it, which I am. I'm waiting for him to get back from vacation, so I'll feel him out on the phone for his bottom line. I want it, but I'm going to pay what I think is reasonable for me, and that is not 33K. Thinking 28K offer, and do 29,5K limit.

These past couple years I've seen prices climb to amounts I find difficult to deal with. $30K plus for everyday A-bodies which pushes B's to a even higher level. My insurance company sent me a note about my '68 Charger that it was under insured. This car looks really nice, but I have to drive almost 300 miles to go see it, leaving the negotiations a little difficult. Driving that far, sure makes it look like I'm super hot for it, which I am. I'm waiting for him to get back from vacation, so I'll feel him out on the phone for his bottom line. I want it, but I'm going to pay what I think is reasonable for me, and that is not 33K. Thinking 28K offer, and do 29,5K limit.
See my post #9. A suitcase full of $28k cash, show it to him, or better yet, his wife. Say : "I'm going home with your car, or with this bag of cash I brought. The choice is YOURS." If declined, start walking away back to your car with the suitcase. You may be surprised. I did something similar years ago, amazing how they change their minds. I went home with the car, in my instance.

When I'm trying to buy a car long distance, I throw this out with varying results. I explain that I like the car and want to buy it subject to personal inspection. Then I explain that I am driving a long distance and don't want to dicker on price once I'm there. I ask for the lowest price they're willing to take and tell them that if I make the trip, I will buy the car at that price or go home without it. Sometimes I'm surprised at how much lower than asking price they're willing to take. Some cars, I will come up with my own price and throw it out there with the same qualifier. Some sellers take a little back and forth to get to the price. So far, I've stuck to my word and have not tried to negotiate a lower price on site. I have come home empty a few times. Good luck!

She's a beauty. $25-30 is a reasonable price for one in that nice of shape. Nothing wrong with a 318. Will it burn tires a city block? Nope but does it need to? Depending on the rear gear it will get 18 mpg on the highway and you can thumb your noses at the guys with the 440's at the gas pump filling up (again)

It makes a big difference when you show them the money in person, that's when you can cut the best possible deal.

Cash in hand is not always the preferred method of payment. Some people are concerned about counterfeit bills and want a cashier's check. Some are concerned about counterfeit cashier's checks, which is a big issue in banking today. I will offer to bring cash, go to the bank with them and retrieve cash, or go to the bank with them and draw a CC in their presence. This helps build confidence that I'm not trying to scam them. You might have to make arrangements ahead of time for larger amounts. I do believe it's better to negotiate in person but that's not always possible with a long-distance deal.

The seller is a fiipper and does a lot of social media videos with his brother and dad. The car looks nice in pictures, but there are a few things like the placement of the hood scoops that make me question the quality of build. I would definitely go see it in person before offering any money let alone buying it.

I need to see it but, flippers are not high on my list.. Need a drive to see it, and have a good dinner with the wife this weekend.

If the seller is a flipper, he has no idea of what was done, or quality.
But as to your question as to value, I have found to pay a dollar or two more for a car, pays off in the end.
Whoever put the car together, cared enough to build a nice car. Yes, the scoops are in the wrong place, but the car has a good look.
Look at it, drive it, make offer.

Auto Transport Service
Back