• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 charger vs r/t technical differences?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
This question is probably very easy to answer for someone who knows them very well.

So what are the technical differences between a 69 charger or charger r/t?

im asking because i am looking up prices on nadaguides and there you can drop in an 440 in a normal charger for example, so if that for example is really available i am asking myself what are the advantages of the road & track package???

Last edited:
The NADA guides site is wrong. I will mention a few of them. You cannot buy a normal 1969 charger with a 440 engine. That was never available. But you can add that on the NADA website.

They have it so you can add a 440 engine in 1970 Charger R/T. It falsely adds 30% to the car on that site. Well that car is standard with a 440 engine do you should not add it in that car and raise the price, it’s already included in the price.
Also add a 6 cylinder engine to a Charger R/T-we know that’a not available.

You can also add a shaker hood, not available in a Charger, but you can add one to the price on NADA. I chose 1970 to show the shaker hood for a B-body is adding 10% to the car.

5D43BC4A-F405-4CD9-BFE3-8161C2BC4BA7.png

Last edited:
According to these website there was no 440 for the base charger, just for the r/t

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/dodge/charger_2gen/charger_2gen_r_t/1969.html
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/dodge/charger_2gen/charger_2gen/1969.html

Are there even more differences like frame reinforcement, better suspension/handling, anti sway bars, torsion bars or stuff like that?

A 440 Charger R/T in 1969 doesn’t have any frame reinforcement from a regular Charger. A front sway bar comes on a V8 Charger.

The torsion bars and rear leaf springs are stiffer. The Driveshaft has bigger U-joints. The transmission is upgraded for the 440 Magnum engine. Chrome exhaust tips for non California cars. The R/T emblems look really cool!

Less made = more money.

R413 is correct (hunt2elk also). I am NOT a Charger expert, but here is some general information. Within the Charger group of cars, you have:
a. Charger --> smallest engines & least number of options
b. Charger SE --> small/medium engines with more options (WRONG--> SEE POST BELOW)
c. Charter R/T --> biggest engines with more options (you can also get a R/T + SE combined I believe) R/T's have 440's or 426 Hemi

Last edited:
R413 is correct (hunt2elk also). I am NOT a Charger expert, but here is some general information. Within the Charger group of cars, you have:
a. Charger --> smallest engines & least number of options
b. Charger SE --> small/medium engines with more options
c. Charter R/T --> biggest engines with more options (you can also get a R/T + SE combined I believe) R/T's have 440's or 426 Hemi
Another way to describe that would be
a. Charger you could order from /6 to 383 4bbl
b. SE was a trim line you could add to either Charger or Charger R/T
c. R/T you had the choice of 440 or 426 motors.
The other points about suspension hold.

If your looking for values use Hagerty’s valuation tools along with auction data. Hagerty’s site will at least have the right models and engines.

Thanks very much, thats even more that i needed to know. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back