• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 poly to newer 318 swap

cadjaw55

Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
I have a 318 poly in my 64 Fury that is not running. Will a newer 318 be and easy swap. This would allow for less costly modifying the manifold and cam etc.ii

My understanding is that it is a direct bolt in swap. I hope that if I'm incorrect on this, someone will post here.

Mike

later 318 should bolt right in. You'll have one extra bolt when bolting up the trans. No problem though. If yo do a 360, you will have to slightly modify the right side engine mount and use a B&M style flexplate made specifically for that application.

be careful of mixing internal and external balanced engines.

I have a 318 poly in my 64 Fury that is not running. Will a newer 318 be and easy swap. This would allow for less costly modifying the manifold and cam etc.ii

Just going to add a few details/questions that the old man forgot :p

The car has a 727 Pushbutton trans, is there anything special that needs to be done as far as that goes other than the extra bolt that was already mentioned? Are there any other considerations like the radiator or things of that nature?

Also what's the latest year model we could go with? I know that the 318's were used for many years but I'm not sure when/if they would have changed significantly enough for them to be incompatible with our setup.

The water pump hose connection is on the opposite side. You will have to either get a new radiator or have your lower outlet moved to the opposite side. Another alternative would be to use the old 318 water pump on the newer engine, but that would cover the timing marks.

Auto Transport Service
Back