• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

400 Block 512 Stroker V.s 440 Block 512 Stroker

440/512 CH= 1.485"
400/512 CH= 1.320"

The difference is a mere .165" So is that the absolute red line for piston slap in a build?

If you're concerned about piston slap then you should use a shorter rod and get the CH up near 1.6"-1.7"

Myself I went with the 440 block and a 4.15 crank for a 493 at .030 over. I used the 440 block because I may want to put a crossram on my 63 some time and they dont make a crossram for the low block. Either will work for you. I used the 440Source kit and went with Indy EZ heads as I feel they have more potential then the Source or Eddy heads in case I step it up more down the road. I am very pleased with mine as its a street car I drive everywhere and even drive it to the track. I use a solid flat tappet cam with the Indy dual plane and the 850 DP. At 3700 lbs so far it has run 10.70's at almost 125 on 92 pump thru the full exh. I really feel it has at least 10.50's if I ever get around to some serious tuning. You have to weigh out the differences and decide which you prefer as both can work fine. Good luck , Ron

100_1753.jpg

Question, what do you mean by fully ported RPM heads? Is this still the stock intake port size, or has the port size been made larger like a max wedge? How much do the heads flow?
Also, what is your target power and RPM level?
Do you plan to use an internal or external oil pickup?
What intake and carb do you plan to use?

The 512 stroker in the 440 is pretty easy for clearance, just needed to take a small amount off the oil pickup boss, no cylinder notching was needed. I used a 1/2" internal oil pickup with no problem. The 499 stroker 400 was the same, no bore clearance needed, only the oil boss, 1/2" internal oil pickup. I thought the 400 block is slightly smaller in the crankcase area?, so I don't know how much clearancing would be needed with the 4.25" crank vs the 4.15"?
On the other hand, if using an external oil pickup, you could go with an even larger stroke crank.
If you plan on more than 650+ HP, you may want to use a dominator 4500 style carb and intake manifold.

i just did the 440-505 stroker it is the same as the 512 except instead of going .60 i went .30.

thats 4.25crank and 7.100 rods, i did not have to modify anything on the block it rotates fine and has about half inch clearance to the oil pickup boss, must be a difference in the year blocks as mine is a 76 block

I have a 400/512 stroker. Only have 18 miles on it. Cannot comment on performance till I run it some more. I wish spring would get here!

i just did the 440-505 stroker it is the same as the 512 except instead of going .60 i went .30.

thats 4.25crank and 7.100 rods, i did not have to modify anything on the block it rotates fine and has about half inch clearance to the oil pickup boss, must be a difference in the year blocks as mine is a 76 block

I have the same 440/512 combo in a 71 block with no clearance problems.

Myself I went with the 440 block and a 4.15 crank for a 493 at .030 over. I used the 440 block because I may want to put a crossram on my 63 some time and they dont make a crossram for the low block. Either will work for you. I used the 440Source kit and went with Indy EZ heads as I feel they have more potential then the Source or Eddy heads in case I step it up more down the road. I am very pleased with mine as its a street car I drive everywhere and even drive it to the track. I use a solid flat tappet cam with the Indy dual plane and the 850 DP. At 3700 lbs so far it has run 10.70's at almost 125 on 92 pump thru the full exh. I really feel it has at least 10.50's if I ever get around to some serious tuning. You have to weigh out the differences and decide which you prefer as both can work fine. Good luck , Ron

100_1753.jpg

WOW 10.70's! That's impressive! Still a street car right? Ive always loved the Sport Fury's. what gear you runnin out back?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 400/512 stroker. Only have 18 miles on it. Cannot comment on performance till I run it some more. I wish spring would get here!

Good to hear there is more and more people out there using this combo for the street! Please send feedback! when I do mine I will get very in depth on the process and outcome and share with everyone..

100_1753.jpg

Ron, I think some fresh slicks, perhaps a bigger carb and maybe open headers away from those 10.50s. I hope things fall your way during the winter and you can at least get those slicks on. Best wishes, brother.

WOW 10.70's! That's impressive! Still a street car right? Ive always loved the Sport Fury's. what gear you runnin out back?

- - - Updated - - -

Right now I am running 4.30's with a 30" tall radial slick. It turns about 3200 at 60 mph running down the highway. I want to try less gear as I think it will go just as fast with 3.91's or 4.10's. I had the 4.30's from my old 440 combo but this 493 dont seem to need as much gear. And yes its a street car as I even drive it to the track.

Dave one of the guys on Moparts offered to let me try their MP 337 single plane intake with a 1000 cfm Holley car. The 337 makes about the power the Victor does from the dyno test I have seen and its shorter so it should fit under my hood. I plan to get new slicks and if I dont get the intake to try I may just try a larger carb on this Indy dual plane. I dont plan to uncap it but one day I might just to see if it makes a difference. I also want to play with timing and jetting some more. But I really hope I get to try the 337 intake and 1000 cfm carb as I think this eng will realy like it. I am happy with the dual plane I run and if it does not go a bit faster with a single plane I will stick with the dual plane since it drives so nice with it. Ron

- - - Updated - - -

Right now I am running 4.30's with a 30" tall radial slick. It turns about 3200 at 60 mph running down the highway. I want to try less gear as I think it will go just as fast with 3.91's or 4.10's. I had the 4.30's from my old 440 combo but this 493 dont seem to need as much gear. And yes its a street car as I even drive it to the track.

Dave one of the guys on Moparts offered to let me try their MP 337 single plane intake with a 1000 cfm Holley car. The 337 makes about the power the Victor does from the dyno test I have seen and its shorter so it should fit under my hood. I plan to get new slicks and if I dont get the intake to try I may just try a larger carb on this Indy dual plane. I dont plan to uncap it but one day I might just to see if it makes a difference. I also want to play with timing and jetting some more. But I really hope I get to try the 337 intake and 1000 cfm carb as I think this eng will realy like it. I am happy with the dual plane I run and if it does not go a bit faster with a single plane I will stick with the dual plane since it drives so nice with it. Ron[/QUOT

Ron it it this intake I have attached. If it is I've seen test where with a bit more rpm on a big block makes more power over the victor intake. I'm thinking of running this on my next motor build which will be a blow through twin turbo build.

Attachments

• intake-sp.jpeg
    intake-sp.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,050
Yes thats the intake. Makes great power and is not as tall as the Victor as I think that will fit under my hood. Ron

Yea it does and that's another thing I like about it is its shorter then the victor. Just give it some messaging to really get the flow going plus its for max wedge ports as well if you got them and can use either 4150 or 4500 carbs.

Black - did you ever build one of these motors?

- - - Updated - - -

How is this thing runnin? Any regrets?

440/512 CH= 1.485"
400/512 CH= 1.320"

The difference is a mere .165" So is that the absolute red line for piston slap in a build?

If you're concerned about piston slap then you should use a shorter rod and get the CH up near 1.6"-1.7"

The 440/500 kit has a CH of 1.867. Not giving much up in cubes.

Just throw some info in. Just got done with 400/512 kit from 440source. The kit was great. Went together about as easy as they can. No Issues at all.

It goes great. I primarily used all parts from 440source. Hyd cam (571) and CNC stealth heads. CR came in at 9.7 so pump gas works great. It's not a racer just a very fast street car when I want.

I don't have experience with the 440 kits so I can't help out on the choice. Good luck I'm sure either will go great!

Go with a 472 combo, if you go below 11.50 you will be required to have a roll bar.

Auto Transport Service
Back