• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source vs Hughes stroker kit

I had a 440 based 496 that used a 440 source kit. I used a 6bbl intake, hydraulic roller cam and eddy aluminum heads. It has been a few years since the build and I don't own the car any more, so I don't have the cam specs or recall which heads were used. It was a blast to drive. Below is the dyno sheet.
Publication1.jpg

Between those heads, go with 240's as the 270's are "Max Wedge" size and the 6 pack intake will not match the 270's ports. Good luck on build and don't overcam it.

i`d go with the 270`s in a heartbeat , my cnc victor knock offs flow more than trick flow advertises their 270`s at ..
with a 500 plus c.i. stroker , u ain't gonna have any low end problems !! < old saying , "you gotta drive it like a big block chevrolet !!"

We typically use Molnar cranks and rods (Chevy 7.100 long rods) and then match them with a dished piston that provides the correct compression ratio. You'll need to use the TF240 heads since the 270 heads will not work with your six pack intake. Keep the cam small or else you'll have lots of issues getting the six pack carbs calibrated. If you build a 505 (440 with 4.250 crank) then I'd stay in the 220 to 230 at 050 duration for the cam. The Chevy 502 crate motor uses a 224/234 hyd roller cam and those engines work great on the street. If you go much bigger than that you'll be chasing carb calibration issues. If you put a single 4bbl or a Holley Sniper on the engine then you can go with a bigger cam since the fuel curve will be easier to play with.

Not to step on the thread, but nice to see Andyf back dropping knowledge bombs.

We typically use Molnar cranks and rods (Chevy 7.100 long rods) and then match them with a dished piston that provides the correct compression ratio. You'll need to use the TF240 heads since the 270 heads will not work with your six pack intake. Keep the cam small or else you'll have lots of issues getting the six pack carbs calibrated. If you build a 505 (440 with 4.250 crank) then I'd stay in the 220 to 230 at 050 duration for the cam. The Chevy 502 crate motor uses a 224/234 hyd roller cam and those engines work great on the street. If you go much bigger than that you'll be chasing carb calibration issues. If you put a single 4bbl or a Holley Sniper on the engine then you can go with a bigger cam since the fuel curve will be easier to play with.
Spot on. Any plans to write another BB mopar book? :D

Spot on. Any plans to write another BB mopar book? :D
My big block book needs an update but the publisher wasn't super interested last time I talked to them. The book came out before Trick Flow introduced their heads so that is the biggest thing that needs to be updated. I've also done a lot of testing with ported intake manifolds since the book was written and I think that topic should be covered. I'd also add a chapter on EFI and I'd probably add a bunch of content around picking a cam as well as some valve train stuff.
The B Body book didn't sell very well so that one is a dead end. I thought it was a good book but I guess the market was too narrow.

My big block book needs an update but the publisher wasn't super interested last time I talked to them. The book came out before Trick Flow introduced their heads so that is the biggest thing that needs to be updated. I've also done a lot of testing with ported intake manifolds since the book was written and I think that topic should be covered. I'd also add a chapter on EFI and I'd probably add a bunch of content around picking a cam as well as some valve train stuff.
The B Body book didn't sell very well so that one is a dead end. I thought it was a good book but I guess the market was too narrow.
Maybe they'll see the light. I for sure would buy the updated one. Add that to the other two I have that you did.

Ever think of Self Publishihg? Amazon Kindle is a good place for that

I have your books, but it seems everyone is going social media these days?
What did you think of the HXL / HXX cam profiles?

Auto Transport Service
Back