• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 break-in.....check!

beanhead

Easily Offensive
Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
Yay did the dirty deed today, whilst most neighbors (and wife) were at work...got a clean 25 or so minutes at 2000 or just over...no major problems. Its a 68 satellite, 440 .040/comp 274xe cam/edd rpm intake and heads(man they run cool!) 850 street demon out 1-7/8 hookers to 2-1/2 exhaust w dmax super turbos...lots of the usual smoke for 10 minutes or so, sounds good not too loud out back....if I can pass along anything this latest adventure, it would be to use an IR thermometer... It made monitoring temperatures so much easier. Oh, and this was interesting... some parts of the steering column melted into goo and dripped out underneath the car(I'm pointing to them in the pics)..never saw that one before lol... can't drive it quite yet got to get brakes figured out and a few other things but this motor's been sitting since about 2002 it was awesome to hear it roar to life! Thanks for all your help along the way, I'm sure I will need more!

20170203_183302.jpg 20170203_183323.jpg 20170203_183403.jpg 20170203_183431.jpg 20170203_183513.jpg

Sweet!
I'm doing mine tomorrow-AGAIN!
Did it the first time several months back, then a friend drove it a little bit and brought it back to me with two damaged lifters, three damaged rocker arms and three damaged pushrods!
That whole ordeal set me back probably 400-500 bucks, I haven't added it up yet!
Thank God the cam didn't go flat!
I melted my steering column bearing the first time also- in one little spot and that's with the stock manifolds.
The moral of the story here is DO NOT LET YOUR FRIENDS DRIVE YOUR CAR...PERIOD!
Unless you are with them I suppose.

Sweet!
I'm doing mine tomorrow-AGAIN!
Did it the first time several months back, then a friend drove it a little bit and brought it back to me with two damaged lifters, three damaged rocker arms and three damaged pushrods!
That whole ordeal set me back probably 400-500 bucks, I haven't added it up yet!
Thank God the cam didn't go flat!
I melted my steering column bearing the first time also- in one little spot and that's with the stock manifolds.
The moral of the story here is DO NOT LET YOUR FRIENDS DRIVE YOUR CAR...PERIOD!
Unless you are with them I suppose.
Ouch....good luck tomorrow!

Doing mine tomorrow also. SAT almost 3years.

Just fyi for anyone that might run into fit issues (nothing factory style wanted to fit for me on this build!) I'm using the hayden #2947 fan clutch with the MP 5-blade fan because the radiator was too deep, modified my MP fan shroud to attatch to the radiator it moves lots of air, during the break-in the highest temp read on the front of the block and top of the water pump housing was 195, using a 180 thermostat...autolite AR 3933 shorter plugs and accel ceramic boot wires for header clearance and they work fine....

Doing mine tomorrow also. SAT almost 3years.
Ha whenever people talk about this superbowl in the future, we'll be like "ya whatever that was the weekend I started that motor........."

Ha whenever people talk about this superbowl in the future, we'll be like "ya whatever that was the weekend I started that motor........."
True I'm not much of a stupid bowl watcher. Forgot it was this weekend.

Auto Transport Service
Back