• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5,500 mile Road trip to Alaska in a 1970 440 6barrel RR

swampdonkey

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
Started the trip in Rumford, Maine and ended up in Delta Junction, Alaska about 5,000 miles with a few extra miles for detours due to car troubles. IMG_1202.JPGIMG_1193.JPGIMG_1213.JPGView attachment 261448View attachment 261449IMG_1432.JPG Sure we couldn't go all that way without having some car trouble we had about six stops along the way due to breakdowns that could have been avoided if repairs to the car would have been done properly by technicians that were paid to do so. Long story here we won't get into right now but, things that happen were exhaust system was installed poorly so it very noisy, attempted to repair it only to have a custom muffler exhaust shop in Helena, Montana redo the complete system a few days later. Coil died in Minnesota replaced it along with spark plugs then in North Dakota we had an axle making noise and found out it was loose doe to the outer bearing moved on the axle so we had it reset and tack welded back on the axle.
We also had air shocks installed because of the extra weight we were hauling. A few more bugs along the way was plug wires were shorting out so they were also replaced. Anyways we made it and the trip was glorious lots of scenic places along the way. Here are some photo's starting in Maine to Alaska.

IMG_1202.JPG IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1432.JPG

Great trip fellas. Its a shame about the breakdowns on the way but I guess it all adds to the adventure. You must have taken in some stunning sights along the way.

Love it. Most of the fun is getting someplace and you made it.

GOOD ON YOU!!!! for getting your car out on the highway and driving it like it was intended to be driven!

Your memories, good or bad, will be with you forever!

Keep on keepin on!

Unless your planning on staying, I can't wait for the chapter on the Adventures of Driving back home. Good job!

Nice....and ballsy. Good to see the old beasts are still capable. I used to drive cars from LA to Detroit for resale. It was always something...........

Hell of a trip/trek congrats, I'll bet you remember that the rest of your life too...

I see smiles you must have been having fun too...LOL

I've made the trip up the Alcan Hwy thru BC Yukon to Toke Jct.,
then down to Anchorage a few times, in newer trucks/cars
{we carried extra hoses, belts, plugs, wires, gas cans, tools, an extra spare etc.} ,
I'm not sure I'd even attempt it in my RR, unless I absolutely had too...
It's the wilderness with a just hwy going into it...

With newer cell coverage it may not be as scary...LOL, we had none of that back then...

Roads are "allegedly" far better now, than the 80's & 90's, we had allot of gravel
& chuck holes/craters back then, big semi's/truck rolling & throwing rocks...LOL

Whitehorse was one of my favorites IIRC, Denali {Mt. McKinley} park is awesome,
lots of wildlife "aka Bears", not a good place to break down...

I'm not sure what parts availability is like now either, probably a little better,
hopefully it's less miles between towns & fuel too now...LOL

great trip I'll bet, even with the troubles

congrats again, that's a true feat
hard to beat Alaska & the Yukon Terr. for ultimate scenery...

Awesome road trip gents !!!!! And in a classic 70 RR, it doesn't get better. :hello2:

Awesome! Driving the car as it was meant to do! I am driving across country in my 1970 Road Runner in September. Mine is green too (although Limelight) but it is a 383 car. I'm looking forward to it and hoping for minimal to no car troubles. We'll see how it goes.

I am sure you had an epic trip! We'd love to hear some more about it (and see pictures of course too!).

That is incredible! Just awesome! Please share more info about the car, the trip overall and pics if possible.

And the 6bbl scoop really does look right at home on a 70 Roadrunner if I do say so myself!

Making memories for sure. Need more pictures. You didn't have a beer at the Elks did you?

You guys rock!!!! I am hoping to do an epic road trip in one of my cars someday. Thanks for posting.

Well, you seem to have made it in one piece. We found this near you. (Ricky's roadhouse)259993_1893267771433_1713769_n.jpg

Road Trip!!!
pure Awesomeness,TY for sharing

ps,i too wondered about the fuel costs?
im guessing 12mpg?

Unless your planning on staying, I can't wait for the chapter on the Adventures of Driving back home. Good job!

Yeah X2!

Wow, you certainly get the Award for the Best and longest trip so far on the forum!

Congratulations guys!
Great pics!
Great car!
Great story!

Auto Transport Service
Back