• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet w/440 intermittent crank issue

JOMIDABR

Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
When I turn the key to start, some times is does nothing.. no clicking, no turn. Other times, it starts right up. Sometimes, if I hold the key in the start position for a few seconds, it will then turnover. I'm going to replace the ignition switch to see if that takes care of it. Any ideas, comments...

Carefully remove, clean, and replace the bulkhead connector banks. Good practice even if it doesn't solve the problem.

The ignition switch is a good start. Other possibles are, if it doesn't fix it, the wiring itself, starter relay, or starter bendix.

Good luck on it.

I'd start at the bulkhead connection. Look / feel for any signs of it heating up on you after you "hold the key in the start position for a few seconds, it will then turnover".
IMO, Loose / corroded connections from the bulkhead back to battery and grounds are common issues.

Try connecting a jumper wire at the starter relay from the yellow wire to the battery terminal or two jumpers so you can touch them together in free air. This will rule out the starter and starter relay. If this works every time then it is likely the ignition or bulkhead connector. You should also check the neutral safety switch if it's an automatic.

I would check your grounds. Make sure you have a good, clean solid chassis ground and maybe run a supplemental to the block if it doesn't already have one.
Start at the battery...

Last edited:
positive wire at the starter relay was loose. tightened it up and all seems good. Thanks for all the help!!

Auto Transport Service
Back