• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX from 440 to 426 hemi question

Duel quads vs a single 4 on a hemi only looks nice. But the single 4 runs much better with a dual plane. Otherwise just Make the break and move to fule injection and forget the 60 year old technology. Fuel Air Spark Technology

Carbs are far more mechanic friendly than EFI. Tuning carbs doesn't require a computer or programs and such that only a guy in company coveralls will understand. EFI engines have a mind of their own and clearly not as rewarding.

I find the part of having unburnt fuel belching out the exhaustpipes an ever essential part of an automoblie. They just don't make 'em like they used to because people have wussed out and are not mechanically apt anymore.

I'm sure a single 4 is much simpler for someone with no skills to tune

Duel quads vs a single 4 on a hemi only looks nice. But the single 4 runs much better with a dual plane. Otherwise just Make the break and move to fule injection and forget the 60 year old technology. Fuel Air Spark Technology

The Volumetric Efficiency on the Hemi Head design is so much higher than ANYTHING else. it easily allows room for much more carburation, Provided they are properly tuned by a competent Mechanic. so if you got it, use it.

In my opinion running a single four on a Hemi is like a Blow job form your cousin, It may feel the same but it just ain't right. :rolling:

Dual Fours all the way !

Well that is true but still the point of a Hemi is the dual 4s. I think that if one were to watch Speed TV or the Powerblock on Spike that anyone could tune a carb, if they monkey see, monkey do Mike Galley enough. Ask someone at a car show that "Hemi" means to them, what pops into their head. ( dual 4s).

Where is he? I don't know him but I have heard of him, just to check, he's the guy who turned a Coronet into a Roadrunner right? and raced it in the FAST series.

No. The Hemi B body he runs is his dad's car, and I believe it's a real Hemi car.

I never said it wasn't a real hemi car, I said he had converted a Coronet into a Roadrunner. He was in Mopar Action, I think a year or so ago.

Dave Dudek has had a couple of F.A.S.T. cars I believe the current one he is running is a Hemi GTX that is striped to RR trim and that is the way he runs it. The point is that it runs mid 10s on street tires WITH Carter dual quads.

He has a lot more secrets than that. (we had some long conversations when I was running the Challenger)

Just getting through a 426 Hemi swap into a 1970 318 Belvedere. Put in new Strange Engineering Dana 60 with 3:73's and TCI Torque Flite. Welded in custom frame stiffeners. Engine built and dyno'ed by Ray Barton. Has hydraulic flat tapped Crane can 292 and compression at 11.1. Has dual Edelbrock 650 on Stage V in line manifold. Dyno'ed at 591 HP at 6000. The dual quads are incredibly crisp and responsive and they roar like a monster. TTI 2 1/4 dia. headers are tight fit and clear everything except the power steering box. This was solved by grinding off about 1/8 inch. off the top lip of the steering box. No shock tower problems and heater motor just makes it. It's also airconditioned at everything just fits.

Just getting through a 426 Hemi swap into a 1970 318 Belvedere. Put in new Strange Engineering Dana 60 with 3:73's and TCI Torque Flite. Welded in custom frame stiffeners. Engine built and dyno'ed by Ray Barton. Has hydraulic flat tapped Crane can 292 and compression at 11.1. Has dual Edelbrock 650 on Stage V in line manifold. Dyno'ed at 591 HP at 6000. The dual quads are incredibly crisp and responsive and they roar like a monster. TTI 2 1/4 dia. headers are tight fit and clear everything except the power steering box. This was solved by grinding off about 1/8 inch. off the top lip of the steering box. No shock tower problems and heater motor just makes it. It's also airconditioned at everything just fits.

would love to see pictures of the 70

Ray Barton's name comes up on more old school 426 Hemi blocks than Mopar! I live in Atlanta and am doing some conversion work on a newly purchased 69 RR. Eric Shelton who use to race Mopar is doing the engine build. Not an original Hemi car but had one when I got it. 68 date coded. I am changing over from a dual cross ram setup to inline dual 4's, partly because the scoop on the car sucks (fiberglass to clear air cleaners) and I want the air grabber setup. Found an air grabber hood (w/air grabber) but the air grabber baseplates are 800-1000$!!! Year one sales a fiberglass version for 125$ but I was told it has poor fitment and and isn't worth the money.....HELP!

Air Grabber set ups are of course quite expensive. I'm just using the air grabber pop up hood scoop and none of the duct work and plumbing under the hood. But if you're going to stay with factory original type of stuff, it's going to be hard not to shell out the bucks.

Ray Barton's name comes up on more old school 426 Hemi blocks than Mopar! I live in Atlanta and am doing some conversion work on a newly purchased 69 RR. Eric Shelton who use to race Mopar is doing the engine build. Not an original Hemi car but had one when I got it. 68 date coded. I am changing over from a dual cross ram setup to inline dual 4's, partly because the scoop on the car sucks (fiberglass to clear air cleaners) and I want the air grabber setup. Found an air grabber hood (w/air grabber) but the air grabber baseplates are 800-1000$!!! Year one sales a fiberglass version for 125$ but I was told it has poor fitment and and isn't worth the money.....HELP!
Check this site out http://stores.casselent.com for air cleaners and HEMI parts.

Come on devon leys see some pics please. It would probably be very helpful to Dave

Auto Transport Service
Back