• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 RR steering wheel replacement

Dimension

Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
I am in need of replacing the steering wheel on my '69 RR. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to purchase one from. I was looking at this one at PG Classics and wanted to see if anyone has purchased a wheel from them or if they had a better recommendation?

This is what my wheel style looks like and color. I only wish mine was in this good of condition.
rr-gauges-jpg.jpg

I am in need of replacing the steering wheel on my '69 RR. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to purchase one from. I was looking at this one at PG Classics and wanted to see if anyone has purchased a wheel from them or if they had a better recommendation?

This is what my wheel style looks like and color. I only wish mine was in this good of condition.
View attachment 1663828
That is a simple style wheel. Repair it yourself, epoxy cracks, sand and paint it. Your local auto parts store should be able to mix the correct interior color and package it in a spray can. I did my 65 Coronet (first attempt) and it turned out fine. I went beyond and ordered a custom leather, lace on wrap in a matching color. The best photo I have on hand.
Mike
IMG_2077.JPG

Yep... I'd re-do that steering wheel, or get it done by a professional restorer.

I initially reached out to Gray's Steering Wheel and he said that it would be cheaper to purchase a reproduction wheel.
Here are some images of what the wheel looks like. As you can see it is in rough shape.

IMG_20240419_145830.jpg
IMG_20240419_145836.jpg
IMG_20240419_145840.jpg

As far as redoing the wheel myself does anyone have any video recommendations that show someone doing it?

The one in the Roadrunner was in worse shape than yours. I used por15 putty and many hours of sanding and shaping but the end results are good. I'm your neighbor lol..

IMG_0687 (1).jpg
IMG_0684-225x300.jpg
IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0679-1024x768.jpg
IMG_0747.JPG

Last edited:
I bought one from Mega Parts a few years ago and am about positive it came from PG Classics. I think they are the only one reproducing them. Jamie sent me 3 before I got one without rust on the metal. Other than that, they are fine.

The one in the Roadrunner was in worse shape than yours. I used por15 putty and many hours of sanding and shaping but the end results are good. I'm your neighbor lol..

View attachment 1663882View attachment 1663885View attachment 1663886

View attachment 1663888View attachment 1663889
Nice to see another person in my neighborhood on here.

How many hours did it take you to redo the wheel? For $50 and my time it might worth a shot to see if I can redo it myself. If I mess it up or I am not satisfied with it I can purchase the reproduction wheel. Nothing really to lose by trying it myself.

X2 on restoring it with epoxy, I used PC-7 and painted it with SPI epoxy, or any automotive paint you can get mixed in an aerosol can will work,
Mine looked like Beepbeep's

293637CF-27F8-4775-ACA9-7523DC920037.jpeg

Last edited:
I cant recall the actual amount of time but there is curing time for the por15 then shaping and sanding. Probably no more than 4 hours of actual time not including the curing time. But I may be way off on that.

Mine was in good shape - like flawless. But I never liked the look or feel of it (68 X) From the beginning I did the leather wrap and strap - but never really was all that jacked up about that either. When I restored her I did every piece in the car with leather. Seats, pillars, kick panels, everything. The steering wheel got the same treatment from the same hide I hand picked myself (for quality & color). This time it was wrapped like it was made that way from the factory. As smooth and tight as you could imagine. Every single thing was matching leather - except the top of the console, carpet and headliner. At that point I finally loved my steering wheel. If you fix yours - something to think about.

I used JB Weld. You can get the cleaner, adhesion promoter and paint from Classic Industries, you might as well, your going to have other plastic or interior issues. After you get the color on, take it to a body shop and have them put 3 coats of catalyzed clear on it. If you use rattlecan clear , you will be redoing it all the time. This is the wheel only, not the pad, but it should be cleared too. You can do it, not that hard.

Auto Transport Service
Back