• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Hemi Resto from the grave

That GTX was 10/10ths of the way there,it is nothing more than a reconstructed 70 Satellite with a Hemi engine in it. If that car wasn't a Hemi car it would have been scrapped for the ten pounds of original metal that was left of it! There is no way that you can compare Kerns solid California 70 Charger to that GTX that should have been swept up with a dustpan! Kern choose to replace the clip to make the car straight again, the original frame rails were rust free and could have been straightened by a competent frame shop! I have three Chargers from California, and a flawless 71 Charger R / T from Arizona that never even seen surface rust, and us guys in the east coast rust belt cannot begin to even fathom how much nicer cars are from the south western United States!

Last edited:
Wow I’d say that car was GONE! Stellar resto though, love the car and the colour.

The GTX does look great,but it will never be the car it originally was.

wasn't "comparing" it to Kern's car..... just using the repair as an example, followed by several "if's".....

smashed or rusty makes no difference...... metal is replaced with donor and aftermarket parts every day, in every body shop in the world....... is it a survivor? no....... was everything replaced? yes..... would I pay for it? no way......... would I call it a "rebody"? yes

I agree,the car is a rebody the hard way,which seems to be excepted in the collector car world these days. I know a guy who bought a very rusty, but complete 69 Rambler Scrambler from a local New England junkyard. It sat there for decades. He bought a survivor little old lady 69 Rambler 6 cylinder car,and completely drilled out every panel on the survivor car,and welded it back together with a few scraps of the original body,some containing numbers on them,and because he took the survivor car completely apart and welded it back together with a few crumbs of the original car,it gets accepted as a restoration verses a rebody,and this GTX is just more of the same. The original body structure of this GTX has completely failed,and there is no support structure to even reconstruct a car from,this is far more than replacing a clip,or panel replacement. Keep in that our classic muscle cars were designed to have a ten year lifespan, and I have only seen very few that have not needed some panel replacement.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to be that the more significant the example, the more acceptance the rebody gets.
Also, depends on who owns it.

Looks like $100,000 to me.
Terrific job but it's so far beyond anything I could have/own it's uninteresting.
I think of the young guy next to me at Carlisle a few years ago who restored his 66 Charger in a one car garage on jack stands and it was very nice.
Made his own patch panels with a shrinker/stretcher, did everything body work paint etc...
Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it. I told him he should get an award.
That was a WOW!:thumbsup:

I just want to know what part of that car is actually a hemi gtx other than the VIN and fender tag that was used to claim it's still what it was born as. a 10" x 12" piece of the dash frame and the core support numbers?

I just want to know what part of that car is actually a hemi gtx other than the VIN and fender tag that was used to claim it's still what it was born as. a 10" x 12" piece of the dash frame and the core support numbers?
That GTX is the worst second generation B body that I have seen, and we have a local junkyard that has about 500 rusty New England Mopars in it some have been there for forty years, and none of them are as bad as that car was.

Take a trip to Rochester my friend, rust capital of the Northeast.
Here's to rust in your eye:cursin:

You New York guys get that lake effect snow that us New England guys fear!

scary thing is that is were-Rochester- alot of mopars are.Growing up there and there was a guy off of lake ave that had 3 daytonas if front of his house. FYI Foreigner -rev on the red line-was writen about Lake avenue.

I love these cars, but that should have went to the crusher.

no matter how nice we want to be or say it
it's a vin swap & re-body, a mere shell of it's self

fantastic work, but I call em' as I see em'
& IF I was ever in the market for a 70 with a Hemi
I'd stay away from one like that...

but that's just me, I would like something with far more
actual 1970 to it...
not just the orig. (?) vin/dash & new reproduction fender tag

not taking anything away from the talent
it took to build/re-body
they do certainly have some skills

what's acceptable by some, or being passed off as OE or Org.
or the new norm, in the industry :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:
certainly isn't always accepted as such, by many others

if it quacks like a duck & walks like a duck, if it shits like a duck
it's just a damn duck, not a goose with new feathers

call em' as I see em'

yawn
I've fixed worse... :fool:
and never gave a **** what someone else thinks or accepts
just wanted to save a cool car
it is what it is

Auto Transport Service
Back