• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Hemi Resto from the grave

Like everyone else, I admire the talent and the finished product is no doubt very nice.
Admittedly, such a car will always be unobtanium for the likes of me.

That said, Chrysler didn't build that final product; didn't stamp those numbers; didn't put that
fender tag on that body; didn't equip that shell with that equipment.
Therefore, it has a cool story, but no providence or pedigree IMO.
Just my two cents.

These types of situations will always gets lots of discussion. In theory, since I restored my car, should it have a reconstructed title?
What is "right"? What is "legal"? etc.

My car was missing the fender tag and build sheet. Through extensive research, I feel I can reconstruct the accurate fender tag except the scheduled build date. But I will not do it because eventually the information that I "redid" the fender tag might be lost. To me, it comes down to one simple thing: as long as a car is advertised honestly to be what it is, then I am OK with it. With the high dollar car in this case, I doubt the story would be lost.

Hawk

so I was thinking (dangerous, I know) ........ it's common practice to "save" an original numbers block; while replacing all the internals (and externals) with new, "date correct" donor, or aftermarket replacement parts. If "valuable" enough, block repairs and sleeves are often used..... is repairing a car body really any different?

and what about "non numbers" engines.....that means taking a major part with a VIN from another car, and transplanting it into a car with a different VIN (which has been common practice forever)......... not that I'm against any of it, but I see zero consistency in the whole "restore, reconstruct, rebuild, or rebody" argument........ swapping drive line parts with VINs is ok, but swapping a "certain amount" of sheetmetal is not? ......

can someone please show me in writing the limits and percentage requirements on how much metal can or cannot be replaced?

again.... there are survivors, and there are the rest......... "it's the world we live in"

Last edited:
I've thought about buying a cast date and engine assembly correct date block for my car over the years. But I wouldn't for the same reasons Hawk pointed out. Have a correct cast date block but assembly date a week or two after my car was assembled. The repair if possible to original block would be hit or a big $$$$ miss.

Like a girl with well done fake boobs.....doesn't bother me at all. ...looks great!

Jeff
I'll bet that rowing the gears in this '70 HEMI GTX won't be any different in feel from another similarly equipped '70 HEMI GTX...much like plowing the girl Jeff mentions above would be to the same girl with non-silicone enhancements.

So the only difference comes down to how you sleep at night when you sell that car.

I'm sure it doesn't feel any different than rowing through the gears in a 70 Satellite with a Hemi and a 4 speed, because that's what it is! If that fake boobed girl gives you the clap,that's what your bank account would feel like!

Auto Transport Service
Back