• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Hemi Resto from the grave

some are here
lost many pics in a hard drive crash
http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1239246311

now that I've seen the bucket screwed the pics up
I will have to go there and get them back grrr
the only original parts left were
the roof, cowl and the panels in front of the rear side glass and the upper rad support and the trunk gutters.
pulled out 13 mice nests from it..

20191106_160608.jpg 20191106_160349.jpg

Last edited:
Well IMO it is a 70 Hemi RR, if the VIN has the all important R in it, the proper hemi parts, and the body stamps match it is exactly that despite donor sheet metal.

Not that the car looks bad,but when you are parting with six figures to buy a Hemi car,there are better examples. Especially if you ever plan on it retaining resale value. The before pictures will keep any serious collector from buying that one.

Not that the car looks bad,but when you are parting with six figures to buy a Hemi car,there are better examples. Especially if you ever plan on it retaining resale value. The before pictures will keep any serious collector from buying that one.
Not necessarily. If I remember a Hemi Cuda Convertible that started out as firewall with a pair of a-pillars that was sold for 7 figures more than once...

I didn't bring the same money as the other examples of the same car by a couple of million dollars, that didn't start out as a set of pillars, but you are correct that it did bring seven figures.

I didn't bring the same money as the other examples of the same car by a couple of million dollars, that didn't start out as a set of pillars, but you are correct that it did bring seven figures.
I don't remember that car being much more, maybe someone has some pics. Anyway my point was there is someone else besides the owner that would buy it who has the cash just because of the story behind it...

It recently sold fof 1.3 million, when other examples are in the 3 million plus range.

Man look what I started hahaha...all good points and convo.
:thumbsup:

I stand corrected. I said fire wall and a pair of pillars... But I found the pic it did have the engine compartment...Still this turned into this and sold for $$$$$.
71hemicudarag.jpg

71hemicudarag2.jpg

You cannot really compare Hemicuda convertibles to any other Mopar,they are so few in production numbers,and went to the stratusphere in value. They are coveted in any condition! There are plenty of B body Hemi hardtops out there that can be bought,and haven't needed to have the entire unibody replaced with one from another car.

You cannot really compare Hemicuda convertibles to any other Mopar,they are so few in production numbers,and went to the stratusphere in value. They are coveted in any condition! There are plenty of B body Hemi hardtops out there that can be bought,and haven't needed to have the entire unibody replaced with one from another car.
Ok I thought we were just talking about cars and how they were "rebuilt" not the rarity or final value. I would think that the GTX would be just as "coveted" as there are not too many 70 Hemi 4 speed GTX's floating around since they only made 48 in total(43 US and 5 Canada).. I am not arguing with you just pointing out that it will be easy to sell the GTX for $100K-up just as it was for the Cuda convertible to be sold for 7 figures a few times...

Last edited:
Believe it or not,I could have bought a recovered theft 70 GTX Hemi 4 speed car,white,missing the drivetrain,and a smashed out vent window,from a junkyard is Massachusetts for $250 in 1978 The car this thread is about has a 200k restoration done to it,so it probably would bring 100k. No Mopar is as coveted as a Hemicuda convertible,and the market has clearly shown that. Everyone gave Ted Stevens a hardtime about reconstructing the Daytona carcus that he had out in his junkyard for decades,but a lot more of that car was saved from the original carcus than was on this GTX. It's a Satellite with a Hemi engine,and those can be bought in the 30 to 50 K range.

If you or I or any other person dragged that carcus out of it's grave,and rolled out a finished GTX from our garage,the entire Mopar community would be calling us out for rebodying it! Because the guy who did it is well known for "saving"Mopars that are really way beyond "saving"it is accepted.

If you or I or any other person dragged that carcus out of it's grave,and rolled out a finished GTX from our garage,the entire Mopar community would be calling us out for rebodying it! Because the guy who did it is well known for "saving"Mopars that are really way beyond "saving"it is accepted.

I agree. My point was that it is no different than other cars that sold for big money that started out as nothing more than a firewall with a valuable vin. Even with pictures of previous conditions these cars will always have an *** to sit in the seat that has a big wallet behind the one cheek...I think the 70 GTX is beautiful and seeing Allan's final products I am sure it is as nice in person. Where it came from will always be that and what it is now will always be speculative...

I have seen his work as well,and I agree,my point is that if I were looking to buy a Hemi B body,I wouldn't have picked that one,there will always be a cloud of contraversy following that car. If I spent six figures on a car,the last thing I would want to hear at a show,is "That's the one that was rebodied from a rotted to death carcus" It's no longer the original car.

Auto Transport Service
Back