• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's it Worth 70 v 68/69 pricing?

Well, if it makes you feel any better few of us didn’t have moments of idiocy in 1970, or in my case several moments.

But, if the rest of the boomers out there would just stop retiring, and rolling over their 401k’s into classic cars, the rest of us who have already retired might be able to afford one. Just one opinion …
I worked full time until age 69, mainly so I could scratch my Mopar itch till I was satisfyed.

Still itching aren’t ya?
Naa…got the one I test drove when I was 16. Even the Hemi couldn’t top it.

F53B4BDF-15DC-4CE8-91E6-127F4F6C8821.jpeg

That’s amazing…16? really? Test drive, or stole? lol
When I was 16 I was still riding my first $300 motorcycle. lol …and thought I was the **** ‘68 Triumph.

When I was 16 I was still riding my first $300 motorcycle. lol …and thought I was the **** ‘68 Triumph.
I got to test 'ride' with a friend and the sales 'man'....I was in the back while my friend drove a demo roadrunner and smoked the tires in front of the dealership. We were 17 and the salesman didn't bat an eye. Could we have bought it? Probably since either one of us could have made the payments but at that time Nam was looming over us so we kept what we had. The car in question was a 68 runner automatic.

True story, so bizarre I couldn't make it up. My dad, a regular customer of Clark Motor Company, the Plymouth dealer in my home town, special ordered a new Valiant 100 in 1970. Julie Clark, co-owner of the dealership, told him to bring me in to test drive one of their demonstrators afterwards, trying to capture the next generation of buyers. She was incredibly shrewd in marketing, became a mentor and major force in my career. I chose the GTX that served as a daily driver for her family. One of 46 Y13 Dealer Demonstrator GTXs built in 1969. One of the two that survive, and the only one with factory A/C and the original engine. The equivalent of a date with Angela Dorian, playmate of the year when the car came off the assembly line. Messed me up for life. When I handed the keys back to Julie after the test drive, she told me I'd own the GTX some day in the future, if I was willing to pay the price. I did, and 52 years later, I finally bought the car. Photograph below was taken after the test drive, to document what the Demonstrator looked like back in the day.

IMG_0101.JPG

Last edited:
I got to test 'ride' with a friend and the sales 'man'....I was in the back while my friend drove a demo roadrunner and smoked the tires in front of the dealership. We were 17 and the salesman didn't bat an eye. Could we have bought it? Probably since either one of us could have made the payments but at that time Nam was looming over us so we kept what we had. The car in question was a 68 runner automatic.
Missed Nam by a few years so feel strongly for any that didn’t. As I understood a little later in life what many vets endured after coming home is unbelievable to this day.

Sounds like you served. A sincere appreciation for that sacrifice.

The days of 70 Chargers having less value or desirability ended when the first Fast and Furious movie hit the big screen with the sinister Black Super Charged Hemi 70 Charger stealing the spotlight! Truthfully I have been buying second generation Chargers for over 40 years I have had more than 100 of them and never saw any price variation between the three years of second generation Chargers. What I did see was everyone wanting a 69 Charger like on the Dukes of Hazzard television show, then settling for a 68 or 70 Charger when they couldn't locate a 69. Many have tried to downplay the 70 Charger as being less valuable or desirable, but the 70 Charger had the best options,colors and seats of the three years of second generation Chargers. The addition of the pistol grip shifter knocked the 70 Charger out of the park in my opinion, the coolest factory shifter ever made. My parents bought a triple green 70 Charger R/T SE brand new when I was six years old and I was hooked! I currently own a white 70 Charger R/T V code 440 Sixpack car. 70 was the only year that the 440 Sixpack engine was available in a second generation Charger.

View attachment 1715453

View attachment 1715454
Are those Keystones on the green one? Beautiful machine.

My very big thank you to everyone here! Your feedback is appreciated and will help me come out better through this first timer hunt.

At 58 k you maybe undervaluing your car I would be careful just to prevent shooting yourself in the foot if the unthinkable happens ... junk ones sell for a lot now ... be careful
you are correct. my insurance lady told me to take pictures and provide receipts, however, anything done except in the past year or so, the receipts have been long gone.
the only one i have is a bill from Action Machine for a new driveshaft i bought this past spring.
not sure if providing ads from different sources for 68's and 69's would help in determining if my car is worth 58k or not.
there used to be a local guy that did vehicle appraisals, but he has retired from doing that. plus, if an appraisal was done by a guy that favored Gm and Ford over Chrysler products, how would one know if the appraisal was accurate ?
my car is not factory stock, and has never been so for the 54 years i have owned it, i will never restore it in my lifetime, so that will affect it's value.
by how much, who knows ?

you are correct. my insurance lady told me to take pictures and provide receipts, however, anything done except in the past year or so, the receipts have been long gone.
the only one i have is a bill from Action Machine for a new driveshaft i bought this past spring.
not sure if providing ads from different sources for 68's and 69's would help in determining if my car is worth 58k or not.
there used to be a local guy that did vehicle appraisals, but he has retired from doing that. plus, if an appraisal was done by a guy that favored Gm and Ford over Chrysler products, how would one know if the appraisal was accurate ?
my car is not factory stock, and has never been so for the 54 years i have owned it, i will never restore it in my lifetime, so that will affect it's value.
by how much, who knows ?
Sounds like a good use case for Hagerty or some other carrier more specialized in classics that allow you to name your value. As long as you are willing to pay the premium for that stated value, they will insure it for that. Ive found the premiums more than reasonable and there are other benefits Hagerty provides like unlimited flat bed towing and a nice magazine. *I dont work there or know anyone who does, just been a good experience thus far. **I’ve made zero use of any benefit other than the magazine.

Auto Transport Service
Back