• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Satellite Gen III Hemi Restomod

Carpet needs a good vacuum, but the console is in. Still need to fit the back panel and figure out my shifter arm. The challenger HVAC controls will eventually go away and be replaced by a stereo. I'm running out of parts to put on this car.
1000001965.jpg
1000001967.jpg

I got the back panel of the center console modified and installed.
1000001968.jpg

Also got the seatbelts and seats installed.
1000001971.jpg
1000001970.jpg

Kick panels and (entry covers?) need to be reinstalled. Last thing is really just getting the shifter arm figured out. Long term I'll install a radio and connect all the plugs in the console, but for now I'm really close.

I'm in the phase of the build where I can drive the car, but it's got those annoyances that make it less enjoyable than it should be.

My rear quarter window decided it wants to push out my window felt now when you roll it up. Didn't do it when I installed the felt and rolled the window up and down a bunch, but here we are. Do I just need to raise the bottom stop, or is it just misaligned?
1000002134.jpg

Another issue I'm having is a bad what I think belt squeal. It's only under moderate load. I can't get it to do it in my driveway while adjusting the throttle. I tried belt conditioner and swapped belts, but it's still an issue. All my pulleys are new, so a bad bearing seems unlikely. They all spin freely. The alternator has a slight drag, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Could it be something else? When I get off the throttle while cruising it goes away, so it's not wheel speed related.

And finally I have some coast whine coming out of the rear end. My shop recommended some different weight oil, but no dice. They said I got a bad set of gears. All my stuff was from Dr. Diff. Anyone have luck with warranty parts from him?

Last edited:
Is the chrome bent putting more pressure on the rubber or is it just the angle of the pic.
Maybe some dry lube on the rubber may help.
I bought a complete new Dana from Dr Diff there was a bit of gear noise to begin with went away after 500 mile wouldn't hurt to ask him

Is the chrome bent putting more pressure on the rubber or is it just the angle of the pic.
Maybe some dry lube on the rubber may help.
I bought a complete new Dana from Dr Diff there was a bit of gear noise to begin with went away after 500 mile wouldn't hurt to ask him
It was straight until I rolled the window up one day and it bent it. The glass is just coming up directly under it.

I've got about 450 miles on the rear end right now and it doesn't seem to be improving.

Looks like it needs adjusting toward the inside did the chrome or the glass catch on the strip also wouldn't hurt to bring the glass stop's up a bit so the glass rest's on the weatherstrip rather than below it I have mine set with glass down about 1.5" above the weatherstrip

I'm in the phase of the build where I can drive the car, but it's got those annoyances that make it less enjoyable than it should be.

My rear quarter window decided it wants to push out my window felt now when you roll it up. Didn't do it when I installed the felt and rolled the window up and down a bunch, but here we are. Do I just need to raise the bottom stop, or is it just misaligned?
View attachment 1702044
Another issue I'm having is a bad what I think belt squeal. It's only under moderate load. I can't get it to do it in my driveway while adjusting the throttle. I tried belt conditioner and swapped belts, but it's still an issue. All my pulleys are new, so a bad bearing seems unlikely. They all spin freely. The alternator has a slight drag, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Could it be something else? When I get off the throttle while cruising it goes away, so it's not wheel speed related.

And finally I have some coast whine coming out of the rear end. My shop recommended some different weight oil, but no dice. They said I got a bad set of gears. All my stuff was from Dr. Diff. Anyone have luck with warranty parts from him?
Gear noise on coast, do you mean decel? Or maintaining speed?
I set up about 30 to 40 gear sets a year, and 80% of the time, any noise is a set up issue. You can check your torque to rotate with the drums off and see if the pinion preliad has loosened up, which happens sometimes with all new bearings as they break in. But without seeing pattern, being able to lay hands on it, it's all just conjecture.

Gear noise on coast, do you mean decel? Or maintaining speed?
I set up about 30 to 40 gear sets a year, and 80% of the time, any noise is a set up issue. You can check your torque to rotate with the drums off and see if the pinion preliad has loosened up, which happens sometimes with all new bearings as they break in. But without seeing pattern, being able to lay hands on it, it's all just conjecture.
It's while coasting (no throttle) or on decel. I guess I'll have to get them to open it up and check the pattern.

I finally got my car back from the drive line shop. The mesh pattern on my gears was perfect, but it still whined. New set of gears later and it's all good.

Also discovered that multiple wheel studs were not properly torqued into the axle flanges. It was hard to discover except that the studs were hitting the parking brake internals. When you took the lug nuts off though, it rethreaded the studs so it looked like there was plenty of clearance. A little loctite and that should be the end of that problem.

Another issue I ran into was my shifter arm broke. My fault for making it too thin at the bottom. I'll have to weld it back up with some reinforcement.
1000002203.jpg

A couple of minor updates: I got my shifter arm welded back up. Forgot to take a picture after it was welded.
1000002222.jpg

I had to modify the fuel tank float to actually read empty which required removing the sending unit. At the time they said it was OK not getting a reseal kit, presumably because the tank hadn't been used yet. Turns out that was bad advice. The fuel leaked out and dissolved the undercoating. It then ran down the sides of the tank making a mess. Aeromotive sent me a reseal kit, so we'll see if it holds. I also had some 1" foam tape that I'm using to isolate the tank from the body.
1000002270.jpg
1000002271.jpg

1000002278.jpg

Finally, my wheel studs are still coming loose and hitting the parking brake spring. Not sure how considering I torqued them to 90 ft-lbs and used blue loctite. I'll have to pull the axle one more time to see what's going on. Probably going to remove the studs completely, degrease and use red loctite this time.

Whose seat/shoulder belts are you using and how do you like them?
I'm using Wesco. They're OK. The retractors could stand to be a bit stronger, but I've seen that with other aftermarket belts so maybe it's a common issue. Also with the modern style release button, the male portion blocks the button some so it makes it more difficult to unbuckle than it should be.

I'm using Wesco. They're OK. The retractors could stand to be a bit stronger, but I've seen that with other aftermarket belts so maybe it's a common issue. Also with the modern style release button, the male portion blocks the button some so it makes it more difficult to unbuckle than it should be.
Do you know the angle looks like a 90/75 degree

Do you know the angle looks like a 90/75 degree
I don't know the angle. I did get a longer day length too keep the belt off my neck. I still need a belt guide at the shoulder. I'll probably end up 3D printing something or modifying an existing design.

I have droppers on the top brings them down a bit & across the shoulder ,those seat's look very similar to the 2019 Charger seats i used

Seats.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back