• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 unhappy

My kit did come with the non fibre washer. This is the smaller washer correct? Just to make sure I’m calling parts by the right name. Thanks for the tip on the gasket. I’ve been adding assembly grease to most everything that looks to be metal to metal. I wouldn’t have thought to use it for glue too.

Last edited:
Looking good! Any trans that has sat without running for a long time will have dried up seals. Rebuilding these are fun imho. The worst part is pulling the darn thing.

I always use Vaseline as assembly lube on seals and parts.

Yes, the expensive assembly lube is just vaseline with blue dye in it! OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!

I just finished this one ( going in an A100 pickup)
Transmissions are not hard to do. Just have to keep things clean And in order
Take the front pump apart , ck for heavy scoring in the rotors and in the hsg , and ck clearances with plastigauge

I use door ease for assy lube and have for better part of 30 years , I glue the front pump gasket in the case using said door ease , you can also take two 3/8-16 bolts with the head cut off for some home made FT pump alignment pins

Resized_20240717_152251_1721255246116.jpeg

IMG_8046.jpg

That is funny. I told my wife last night I’m pretty sure that stuff is just Vaseline. All of the cuts on my hands have pretty much disappeared. Very cool. I wish my case would have cleaned up that well. It is a complete 180 from what it was at the start of this. Made some progress today. I air checked the clutches. Both engaged and disengaged. I turned my air compressor down to 40 psi for the test, and if I left the air going to it I could hear a small amount escaping. Is this normal? Everything is assembled up to the clutches at this point. Then we had some company pop in so took a break When I went back after it was trying to play catch up with time and when prepping the front servo I snapped the smaller original ring since I was in rush. Then noticed my kit had only a plastic one. I wasn’t happy with the way that one seemed to fit so hoping the local transmission guy has a metal one or can get one along with the fiber washer that goes behind the stator. Also the nut on my neutral safety switch left its innards on the threaded end of the switch. So hopefully he can get his hands on a single prong switch. I bent the prong a little bit when was trying to get that gutted nut off and the transmission was still under the car. I had planned on just cleaning the threads out. Thinking now I should replace the switch.

We have everything bolted back up just waiting on the new neutral safety switch which should be on my porch today. Hopefully get it on the jack tonight or tomorrow night and bolted back into the car. After I do a little work on the engine since I have it up in the air to take care of some leaks and get a little cleaning done should be able to test it out in another week or so and see how I did. Thanks again everyone for the tips/advice. This went way smoother than I had planned. Now just hope I didn’t miss anything. I did air test and everything seemed to be working and no extra parts. So fingers crossed. Then I get to clean up my mess.
IMG_5918.jpeg

I'm sure you did fine. They really are simple devices as long as you pay attention to each of the assemblies and ensure the seals go in correctly. An air test let's you know if you are good for the seals.

Finally got the last bolts in this project. Most of my leaks seemed to have cleared up after changing the pan gasket and cleaning up and resetting the valve cover on the driver side. Replaced a leaking freeze plug too in the back of motor on the drivers side. That was pretty nasty in there got it cleaned out pretty well I think. Took it for its test drive last night. Took it pretty easy on the old fella and shifted through gears noticeably better. Everything engaged instantly and seemed to stay that way for about a 20 mile trip. So hopefully get some more miles on this week in the evenings and over the weekend hope everything stays working like it should. Definitely seemed peppier at the launch too. Big thanks to everyone with the tips and links. Made the process much easier!

Auto Transport Service
Back