• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

84 first gen ram 440 swap

EthanLaury

Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
So I bought this 84 dodge that was 440 swapped and the wiring is god awful im not master electrician so im wondering could I buy a 440 harness and run it through 84 my guess is the engine came from a 70s dodge truck it's the 4 barrel carb.

So I bought this 84 dodge that was 440 swapped and the wiring is god awful im not master electrician so im wondering could I buy a 440 harness and run it through 84 my guess is the engine came from a 70s dodge truck it's the 4 barrel carb.
Honestly, you’ll be lucky to find a harness, period. I’m sure you already know the last year for a big block was 78. I don’t know what wiring issues you have but, it’s basically just wiring it to fit what you need. In six years quite a few things changed, but the basic wiring to make it run is the same. Gauges, lighting, etc. can be straightened out with a diagram to clean it up. I know this isn’t actually helping your situation but, it’s really your only option. Patience and perseverance, is going to be the key here. Take care and keep these old trucks going.

Get ahold of an FSM[ factory service manual]. Don't waste your money on Chiltons, Clymers, Haynes etc manuals. From there you should be able to put in an aftermarket harness. Ron Francis[ my favorite], Painless, American Autowire etc. Figure out how many circuits you need to feed. A/C, power windows, electric fan, EFI, electric fuel pump, boom box etc.

Which wiring is bad? Under dash? Engine harness? Body harness?

Check the bulkhead connection/s at the firewall too...

1984 Ram/Power Ram
IIRC has a lean-burn ignition system to on that org. 318
you'll probably need to bypass that too... Anyway for the 440 combo

Maybe call M&H Electrical Fabricators Inc.
they are Mopar harness experts
www.wiringharness.com

Mad Enterprises, guy who owns it is good on MoPar electrical too
www.madelectrical.com

I have an ‘84 w150, 318 it did not have lean burn
Maybe it was Calif. BS,
don't remember if it was on my 84 Power Wagon of one of the earlier versions

just checked it was 1976-89 (ELB) Electric Lean Burn
'a box', mounted hung off it, with a couple screws,
mounted off the side of the outside air-cleaner
consisted of spark control computer & various sensors & transducers

I’ve owned the truck for over twenty years, but obviously things could have been changed out before me, but the smog pump and all the egr stuff was all there so I just assume that’s the way it left the factory

Auto Transport Service
Back