• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A/C clutch spins after turning ignition off???

jmattson

Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
Is it normal if the A/C clutch turns for a second after I turn the car off? The belt is on the pulley turning the clutch,but the system is not functional.I'm trying to get the car running ,moving and stopping,before diving into the air.Thanks for the info.

Must be because the clutch is hooked to the crank pulley. Not really understanding your question.

What I hear is ,what I think, is the a/c clutch spinning for about a second after I turn the ignition off.

What I hear is ,what I think, is the a/c clutch spinning for about a second after I turn the ignition off.
Have someone turn the ignition off while you watch it so you know what is happening.

I have.And also had others listen to where it's coming from.Would it do that without being under pressure?

If the clutch clearance is set a little tight it could drag the compressor crank along for the ride... As long as there is oil in the compressor it won't hurt anything, if it's dry I would be a little concerned...

If there were freon in the system it wouldn't turn much cause it would start building pressure...

Thanks for the reply.I had everything rebuilt from classic Auto Air some time ago.Would they fill the compressor in that process? I haven't put oil into it.Is there a oil plug I could check?

Stock RV2 compressor or aftermarket?

Thanks for the reply.I had everything rebuilt from classic Auto Air some time ago.Would they fill the compressor in that process? I haven't put oil into it.Is there a oil plug I could check?
Refrigerant oil circulates with the refrigerant when in operation.....DO NOT REMOVE THE OIL PLUG WHEN THE SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED.....YOU'LL GET A FACE FULL OF OIL AND LOOSE THE SYSTEM CHARGE....initially the vendor would have added the oil when the system was commissioned before evacuation and charged.....or should have......
BOB RENTON

As long as there is oil in the compressor it won't hurt anything, if it's dry I would be a little concerned...
I can tell you for sure do not engage the clutch without the system being charged regardless of having oil in the compressor!! at least for 69 and earlier cars. Without the system being charged it will not lubricate the compressor. Ask me how I know...

I can tell you for sure do not engage the clutch without the system being charged regardless of having oil in the compressor!! at least for 69 and earlier cars. Without the system being charged it will not lubricate the compressor. Ask me how I know...
HOW DO YOU KNOW? The Chrysler RV2 compressor has a crankcase and has an external crankshaft driven oil pump (back side of the compressor) but is under refrigerant pressure when charged. The FSM has a procedure for checking the RV2's oil level. As noted B4, the refrigerant oil moves thru the system when charged. The APPROXIMATE total oil level in the system is 11-12 ounces, with the bulk of the oil will accumulate in the low spots in the system....condenser, receiver-dryer, compressor crankcase (3-4 ozs.).....consult the FSM for recommendations and procedures......don't guess.....
BOB RENTON

HOW DO YOU KNOW?
I know because I just blew up an RV2 with full oil and no A/C charge. Didn't think it would be a problem turning on the defrosters.... 1-mile later belts were blown off and compressor grenaded. total scrap. I was told by radiator shop yeah that will happen without the charge to help move the oil...

I know because I just blew up an RV2 with full oil and no A/C charge. Didn't think it would be a problem turning on the defrosters.... 1-mile later belts were blown off and compressor grenaded. total scrap. I was told by radiator shop yeah that will happen without the charge to help move the oil...
There is a small pump (I believe it's a 4 lobe epitrochiod type, similar to the engine's oil pump) mounted on the back of the housing, driven by the compressor's crankshaft....perhaps your pump was inoperative or it's oil pickup tube was blocked. The pressure switch should have prevented the clutch from engaging. Look at the FSM to see the compressor's oil pump...unless someone eliminated the low pressure switch and wiring.....just my opinion.....BOB RENTON

There is a small pump (I believe it's a 4 lobe epitrochiod type, similar to the engine's oil pump) mounted on the back of the housing, driven by the compressor's crankshaft....perhaps your pump was inoperative or it's oil pickup tube was blocked. The pressure switch should have prevented the clutch from engaging. Look at the FSM to see the compressor's oil pump...unless someone eliminated the low pressure switch and wiring.....just my opinion.....BOB RENTON
the 69 and earlier cars do not have a low pressure cut out switch. The compressor does have it's own "pump" and I believe that is for oiling the crank, the top end (pistons & rods) will not be lubricated unless the system is charged. Mine was a completely rebuilt unit by an experienced shop and filled with oil. I wouldn't think that it would matter either but here I am on my second compressor and a full A/C charge this time and no issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back