• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding Mopar Electronic ignition 70 GTX where to mount...

Azmotorhead

Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
As the title states I'm adding electronic ignition to a 70 GTX 440 4bbl. I would like to mount the new component(s) in the correct spot(s).New wiring harness is installed. Ballast resistor and ECU need mounted. Can someone explain or post a pic of where they mount?
TIA

There is no correct spot as a 70 didn’t have electronic ignition. I converted a friends 70 charger to electronic and he didn’t want to see ecu as he preferred the car to remain as stock appearing as possible so I mounted it below the windshield washer bottle area on the inner fender. It’s close to the distributor that way too. The ballast remained in the stock position on the firewall, on the left side as looking from the front or passenger side is suppose.

I always install mine on the passenger side front frame rail, under the horns. That way, I can bundle the ECU wiring harness with the horns harness up to the electronic distributor. The blue ECU power wire goes to the side of the ballast resistor with 2 blue wires. Fairly invisible. I never like the look of a big orange box on the firewall.

I did mine under the battery tray

This is how I did my 1970 Road Runner back in the day. An original mid-seventies Direct Connection retrofit kit.
Engine shotr.jpg

I did mine under the battery tray
That's where it was mounted when I first aquired the car 35+ years ago. A '70 GTX RS23V0A******, I removed all and installed the original Prestolite dual point distributor recurved and never looked back.....CANi I have your old points distributor ?? .
BOB RENTON

That's where it was mounted when I first aquired the car 35+ years ago. A '70 GTX RS23V0A******, I removed all and installed the original Prestolite dual point distributor recurved and never looked back.....CANi I have your old points distributor ?? .
BOB RENTON
It was a 67 383 single point. Not sure where it ended up. Long long ago.
I have nothing against the prestolites.

Not claiming any originality of course, but I've always done mine like this:
Untitled.jpg
The ballast, regulator (swapped for an electronic one) and the
orange box fits nice right up under the body seam there.
Makes wiring a cinch too.

Last edited:
I hate the fact I drilled holes in my 71 B Body firewall decades ago

I always wondered why the 72-74 E Bodies got a separate mounting bracket installed from the factory

If I was doing it today , big block , mounting bracket off the rear bar mounting bolts for valley pan behind the carb

I also have seen a bracket made for the mounting nuts off the heater blower fan

If I was doing it today , big block , mounting bracket off the rear bar mounting bolts for valley pan behind the carb
That’s where mines mounted. Can see it hiding back there in this pic.

IMG_1943_Original.jpeg

I always wondered why the 72-74 E Bodies got a separate mounting bracket installed from the factory
E-body cowl height is less than ’71-74 B-bodies, not enough room for a clean surface mount. The bracket allows the ECU to clear the lower cowl seam ridge.

P1010040-1.jpg

I mount mine on a bracket among the high lo horns. Made the bracket so it held the box about an inch off radiator support. No new holes, hardly notice the box.

E-body cowl height is less than ’71-74 B-bodies, not enough room for a clean surface mount. The bracket allows the ECU to clear the lower cowl seam ridge.

View attachment 1697920
Something new learned on here every day. Makes sense. I always thought it was a cooling thing for the electronics. Thanks.

As the title states I'm adding electronic ignition to a 70 GTX 440 4bbl. I would like to mount the new component(s) in the correct spot(s).New wiring harness is installed. Ballast resistor and ECU need mounted. Can someone explain or post a pic of where they mount?
TIA

Again, since this isn't stock, there is no right or wrong way. This is how I did it on my own car:

WH 1.JPG

The firewalls on original A/C equipped '70 B body cars is cluttered looking. I added aftermarket A/C which came with block off plates to cover holes no longer needed. I did THIS on a friends car....

1721527268107.png

Mount it somewhere cool. A much less intrusive elec ign system is to use a GM 4 pin HEI module. Simple one wire hook up, no bal res or 'box'. If you run an E core coil, you can run 0.060" plug gaps. GM also has variable dwell, Chrys does not.

They do not like heat and they do not like wet conditions. I have several Jensen Interceptors and people put the boxes on MK II's practically by the exhaust manifolds and cooked them. Another one was on the underside of the firewall near the transmission well and oh my goodness it cooked.

Right now I have it mounted under the battery tray and have done that to two other cars as well. Never a problem with that set up. I had a 69 satellite convertible where I mounted inside behind the glove box Also no issue

Mounting on the cowl panel is a common place but also gets pretty hot there...
My preference is down on the frame rail across from the fuel pump,
as there is a nice air flow down there when moving..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Lots of great suggestions and pics. Thank you all. I purchased a new engine harness thru YearOne that was modified for Electronic Ign. A new distributor and coil were also purchased.
SInce I didn't want to extend or modify the new harness I was trying to keep it up on the firewall. right of center. However, with the new 4-post ballast resistor, a hole in the firewall for the air grabber vacuum lines, and the heater hoses, it looked pretty cramped.
So I wound up mounting it on the right inner fender just below the hood hinge.

1000010408.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back