• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ampmeter bypass

charger11

Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
Hello I have a 68 charger and I am bypassing the amp meter connecting black and red my question is do I have to do anything else to run the car thank you

I am curious why you are bypassing the ammeter. It doesn't usually go bad itself. More typical is overheating of the wires/terminals of the ammeter wires in the bulkhead connector due to age and corrosion causing high resistance. I don't think connecting the wires under the dash will solve anything if the problem is in the bulkhead.

My amp meter is shorting out blowing my fusible link in trying to figure out how to pull off fusible link and get around it thanks eeverybody for the input

Understood. It's probably the insulator between the gauge and the cluster frame. Bypassing is a quick, easy solution.

Oils you tell me easiest way to get off the fusible link from harness

I assume 68 is pretty much the same as 67. On mine, one end of the fusible link has an eye that is attached to the starter relay. The other end has a male terminal plugged into the engine-side bulkhead connector. Unplug that harness connector from the bulkhead. You should see the male terminals protruding inside the connector. Gently squeeze the 2 sides together with a needle nose pliers and push it out of the harness connector. The new one should snap in.

310TKgAtByL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back