• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another axle adjustment question

zigs

Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
I put a clutch style sure grip in my 489.
Axle is out of 65? Belvedere stock axles. Same old problem I've been reading about. Driver side has about 1/8" play , pass side is set correct.
Went by the manual . I've done this over about three times now with the same results. Is that normal for the driver side. Adjusting the pass side per manual is not securing driver side. No
missing parts. Driver side axle too short ?

What did you replace with the clutch type shur grip? I think there are differences in the center plug between open, clutch and cone differentials.
I'd ask Dr Diff, I'm sure he's seen everything.

What did you replace with the clutch type shur grip? I think there are differences in the center plug between open, clutch and cone differentials.
I'd ask Dr Diff, I'm sure he's seen everything.
Unit came from Dr Diff. Everything fits no problems. Old sure grip was cone I'm sure.Supposedly axles fit either one. Only thing not sure of is . The people I got the rear end from raced the car, so I don't know if they put green bearings in or not. Not sure how to tell. The bearings on axles I can see rollers. Aren't green bearings closed.

Can you tighten the adjuster far enough get them to jam together, with no endplay?

Can you tighten the adjuster far enough get them to jam together, with no endplay?
Haven't tried that yet. I was just told that the space on drivers side isn't important i f the pass side is set correctly

Did the new suregrip have thrust buttons in it?

When you adjust the right axle it makes contact against the thrust buttons and in turn makes contact with the left axle which takes the play out of that side. That's when you're useing the taypered roller bearings. Sounds like that's what you have.

When useing "Green" bearings (sealed) you don't use the thrust buttons in the rear. There's no adjusting necessary.

Hold on. The passenger side is shoved all the way in and tightened down. There’s nothing else to do with that. Now the drivers side, back out the adjuster just so a couple threads are holding, shove the axle in and tighten. The axle should have free play, now start tightening the adjuster till the axle has no movement. Get your dial indicator, set it to zero and loosen till you have a few thousandths movement. I forget what the factory calls for. Once you have the free play per factory, lock it down. Enjoy an adult beverage.

Hold on. The passenger side is shoved all the way in and tightened down. There’s nothing else to do with that. Now the drivers side, back out the adjuster just so a couple threads are holding, shove the axle in and tighten. The axle should have free play, now start tightening the adjuster till the axle has no movement. Get your dial indicator, set it to zero and loosen till you have a few thousandths movement. I forget what the factory calls for. Once you have the free play per factory, lock it down. Enjoy an adult beverage.
Are you down under? The adjuster is on the passenger side on my cars.

There is no adjuster on the drivers side

Did the new suregrip have thrust buttons in it?

When you adjust the right axle it makes contact against the thrust buttons and in turn makes contact with the left axle which takes the play out of that side. That's when you're useing the taypered roller bearings. Sounds like that's what you have.

When useing "Green" bearings (sealed) you don't use the thrust buttons in the rear. There's no adjusting necessary.
I had pulled the axles to check everything and saw that the separator was in, has a small hole through the middle the axle ends rest up against.

I flipped the sides, yeah, I’m dyslexic.

Auto Transport Service
Back