• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another axle adjustment question

Looks like oem bearings to me but why is that ring laying on the bearing! Is it a o-ring or a metal ring? And without the thrust pin things will not work very well for long.

Looks like oem bearings to me but why is that ring laying on the bearing! Is it a o-ring or a metal ring? And without the thrust pin things will not work very well for long.
Its a metal ring click on picture to expand , not a good picture nothing loose bearings are good . . I'm not moving forward until issue is solved . I'm going to order thrust pins and see what happens

That thingy shouldn’t be there on the bearings.

When you install the thrust pins back the adjuster way off since to have zero end play on the passenger axle you've cranked the adjuster in allot further than it needs to be when thrust from the drivers side axle is transferred through the thrust pins....

Get a better shot of the metal ring... It may be a garter spring from the inner axle seal...

I had to stare at it and then grabbed my assembly picture to convince my brain..... normal once you give it some thought. As noted elsewhere, you can't set play without the thrust button in the pot assembly.
beerestoration2017 550.JPG

That thingy is part of the bearing. Their on both bearings

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking... I don't see what folks are talking about, I think whats being talked about is actually a dark ring on the bearing lock ring....

The round bar thingy is the part of the cage for the rollers. Took me a while to figure it out. But it sure does stick out quite a ways.

Ring isn't laying on the bearing , its the top part of the roller cage both bearings are the same.

The round bar thingy is the part of the cage for the rollers. Took me a while to figure it out. But it sure does stick out quite a ways.
I looked at it real close doesn't seem to bother anything ,as I've said both sides are that way must be the brand or type of bearing.

Just sticks out further than what I’m used to seeing, that’s why it caught my attention.

Just sticks out further than what I’m used to seeing, that’s why it caught my attention.
Ya , I know first time I pulled axles I saw that but its solid no play. I'll try and find some # on it.

Looking at the pic on my phone made it look different vs looking at it on my desktop! lol

If you don't want to pull the center to install the buttons you could find a wooden dowel rod long enough, pre drill a small hole in the end of it so it won't split and insert a finishing nail. Cut the head off of the nail. Slide the button on the nail, grease up the button so it will stick when inserted. (Just thinking out loud) Your FSM instructions will work this time with the buttons in place. Good luck!

If you don't want to pull the center to install the buttons you could find a wooden dowel rod long enough, pre drill a small hole in the end of it so it won't split and insert a finishing nail. Cut the head off of the nail. Slide the button on the nail, grease up the button so it will stick when inserted. (Just thinking out loud) Your FSM instructions will work this time with the buttons in place. Good luck!
Already thought about that , thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back