• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here ever drive a school bus?

worlds-shortest-school-bus-JB6E6D.jpg

Busses have AC?
Not when I was in school lol

been a science and a shop teacher for 9 years now and can say it all depends on the district.

I say give it a shot, but maybe you might want to sit outside their school when they get out one day and have a look for yourself.

Taught in a very tough inner city here in NJ - all school busses had a driver and an aide in the back. Kids were good to me but the bus drivers had it real bad.

Since then I’ve been in a suburban votech the last few years and the kids are all just like us. Probably a lot better than we were because their noses are all stuck to their phones. I’d probably enjoy bussing them.
The school district I'm looking at is pretty good. Went to school there and am still in the district even though I'm not in the city anymore. We had plenty of fights back in the 60's when it was just a red neck community but now, it's not nearly as red neck anymore.

Wife drives school bus been doing it for over twenty years. She just whips the bus around and backs it up with no camera like we do cars. Changed quite a bit since she started. Mostly the feeling good rules the liberal pukes have put into place have to keep voice down and say things like please stop yelling and please don't call me those nasty things. Political correctness. Most kids just play on cell phones. But just yesterday she said the guys were saying i hate babies, **** babies if my girl gets pregnant im kicking that bitch in the stomach. **** that bitch. Finally she had to ask him very politely to stop talking like that. And those are the private Catholic school kids. And if one would say punch you in the face you aren't supposed to defend yourself, your supposed to radio it in. They used to be able to carry pepper spray,but totally unarmed now you could hurt the child with that, that is the management standpoint
Yup...way too many listening to that rap crap.

The question is who raises these children
been a science and a shop teacher for 9 years now and can say it all depends on the district.

I say give it a shot, but maybe you might want to sit outside their school when they get out one day and have a look for yourself.

Taught in a very tough inner city here in NJ - all school busses had a driver and an aide in the back. Kids were good to me but the bus drivers had it real bad.

Since then I’ve been in a suburban votech the last few years and the kids are all just like us. Probably a lot better than we were because their noses are all stuck to their phones. I’d probably enjoy bussing them.
Know two retired NYPD guys who drive school buses, one said exactly what you did about what district.
The other drives Catholic school kids and told me they are very well behaved.

View attachment 764592 Are you sure you're not already driving?View attachment 764592
Now you know where my username comes from...was a fan of the comic strip for a lot of years. Started out as Crankshaftkid with an email address. Crankshaft was already taken so added 'kid' and it went through. Used Crankshaftkid at several sites and still have that email but don't use it much anymore. As the years went on, I just shortened it to Cranky after so many called me that for short....

School bus days, brings back memories. Back when they were actually stick shifts w/o a/c. Had heat though, thank god.
If any kids got too rowdy the bus driver (Mrs. Dieters) would stop the bus snd kick them off in the middle of nowhere, problem solved.

My Great Grandmother passed away in '98. I recall her telling me stories of being a bus driver/teacher in a one room school house in 1916 before she was married. The bus involved horses and the heat was provided via coal stove. She was 16 at the time. They were a much tougher bunch of Americans back then.

My stepdad in the early 50s drove school bus country route at 16 .
what he thought was funny is he could haul his class mates and kids but could not haul live stock until he was 18. LOL

School bus days, brings back memories. Back when they were actually stick shifts w/o a/c. Had heat though, thank god.
If any kids got too rowdy the bus driver (Mrs. Dieters) would stop the bus snd kick them off in the middle of nowhere, problem solved.

My Great Grandmother passed away in '98. I recall her telling me stories of being a bus driver/teacher in a one room school house in 1916 before she was married. The bus involved horses and the heat was provided via coal stove. She was 16 at the time. They were a much tougher bunch of Americans back then.
The bus I rode on in the early/mid 60's was a GMC with a V6 and a stick. Didn't really pay much attention to the number in the 'V' but think it was a 6. Ask the driver what engine was in it one day and he said a 6 so one day I sat up front and watched him drive. Once he got the thing moving, the pedal was pretty much matted from then on lol. It sure had a different sound riding up front than it did riding close to the back! Sounded like it was under a pretty good strain when the thing was full....

Have a buddy of mine that has offered me a truck driving job several times over the years but don't think I could handle the Houston traffic nor would I want to. Heck, even the surrounding towns are congested pretty bad these days. The neighboring town has bus driver openings from time to time and well, how bad could that be? I know how the kids act.....a lot worse than what we did? We could be pretty bad lol. Had one driver that would just pull over and stop and tell us we would get home soon if we stopped our crap or we could just go to the bus barn. The buses back then didn't have AC either so it got pretty warm sitting in the Texas sun.

Try and get on the school route that uses this bus @Cranky ....:lol:

I drive a bus and work in a truck equipment and fabrication shop in between runs there are 6 cameras on my bus no ac but wv not as hot the kids depends on area i drive in my stomping grounds know the parents that helps but in our area 3 strikes and you lose riding privileges still can test your nerves

The official name for school buses among the drivers is yellow cheese. Guess because they kinda look like blocks of cheese?

The official name for school buses among the drivers is yellow cheese. Guess because they kinda look like blocks of cheese?
So....what do all the modern kids say when the bus runs over some taco's ???

:lol:

Be careful, bus driver in Utah being sued for a student getting his back pack caught in the door and taking a 150 foot ride suspended on the outside.

Crazy world out there!

Cranky, do you have a passenger cert. If you don't you need to get it. School bus drivers leave and start driving motorcoaches. Pay not bad and you're on a vacation driving people around. Not only do you get paid but you can get tips. Also depends on what you sign up fore but you can also travel around the states and see slot you may have never seen before. I know motorcoach operators that bring home as much in tips as a payroll. Being in Texas you have a lot going for you with all the history in Texas.

If you looking for part-time work you could drive a limo and make some serious side cash.

Auto Transport Service
Back