• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know of a source for an “electronic” voltage regulator that puts out no more than 14.2-14.4 volts?

What are the specs of your "squareback" alternator presently in service? What is the drive sheave diameter? Is it a 2 groove sheave? Will this alternator produce 14.5 nominal volts (+/-)? IF it produces the correct voltage, it is possible that it has an OPEN diode, which exhibits OK voltage but under load cannot produce the necessary amps, which results in lower voltage. As I've said numerous times, the MOPAR alternator is a three phase (3 phase) full wave bridge design that uses 3 positive diodes and 3 negative diodes. AN OPEN DIODE, either positive or negative type, will result in one half of the alternators output (low voltage and insufficient current)......it is possible that this is the case. The alternator must be disassembled to test individual diodes, they cannot be group tested....in spite of what the auto parts person tells you. If they take it in the back to "load" test it, inquire about the test and you want to witness the test against a published test procedure....if they cannot provide a test report or allow you to witness the test, they're just blowing smoke up your ***.......just my opinion.....
BOB RENTON
Bob I would like to answer your questions but unfortunately I do not have that information or knowledge. This vehicle was designed and built 24 years before I was born. and the electrical system was changed the following year. I am out of my depth that is why I am asking so many questions. When you are asking Sheave is that another name for the pulley? This is the same alternator that put out the 18v mentioned before I believe it can get to 14.4-14.5 but I have not been able to source a functioning voltage regulator as of yet to see if it will stay there. I am open to doing further diagnostics to try and figure this out. It will hold voltage and not drop so it is telling me it can charge the system. But I believe it is not getting the right signal from the voltage regulator.

Bob I would like to answer your questions but unfortunately I do not have that information or knowledge. This vehicle was designed and built 24 years before I was born. and the electrical system was changed the following year. I am out of my depth that is why I am asking so many questions. When you are asking Sheave is that another name for the pulley? This is the same alternator that put out the 18v mentioned before I believe it can get to 14.4-14.5 but I have not been able to source a functioning voltage regulator as of yet to see if it will stay there. I am open to doing further diagnostics to try and figure this out. It will hold voltage and not drop so it is telling me it can charge the system. But I believe it is not getting the right signal from the voltage regulator.
A sheave is the proper name of a power transmission drive component.....motor sheave, gearbox drive sheave, anything referring to a belt drive component. PULLY is a term used in a FLAT BELT CONVEYOR system as in DRIVE pulley, TAIL pulley, possibly idler or toughing rollers but it refers to a flat belt system. WHAT IS THE MOPAR PART NUMBER STAMPED ON THE FRAME OF THE ALTERNATOR? HOW DID YOU SELECT THE ALTERNATOR IN SERVICE? SOME AUTO PARTS PERSON SAID THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED AND WILL WORK? The old adage: a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing....applies. Did you measure the field voltage during normal operation? Refer to my #160 re diode issues.....
BOB RENTON

It is a 2 groove sheave, I can get measurements of the pulley later, (i am at work) the core I had rebuilt came off of a 1976-77? Motor home 440. When I brought it in to get rebuilt I gave him the make model and year of the car I would like it's specifications matched too. The rebuilder grounded the second field terminal to the case.

No I have not measured the field voltage, where on the alternator do I measure that at the post for the horn/bulkhead connection or at the green field wire terminal?

I appreciate the help as i said i am lost when it comes to this charging system.

A sheave is the proper name of a power transmission drive component.....motor sheave, gearbox drive sheave, anything referring to a belt drive component. PULLY is a term used in a FLAT BELT CONVEYOR system as in DRIVE pulley, TAIL pulley, possibly idler or toughing rollers but it refers to a flat belt system. WHAT IS THE MOPAR PART NUMBER STAMPED ON THE FRAME OF THE ALTERNATOR? HOW DID YOU SELECT THE ALTERNATOR IN SERVICE? SOME AUTO PARTS PERSON SAID THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED AND WILL WORK? The old adage: a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing....applies. Did you measure the field voltage during normal operation? Refer to my #160 re diode issues.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back