• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auto Trans Shift Selector

Alex TurboK

Local time
7:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys, im restoring a 72 Charger SE with my dad, and the shift selector lens that the car has rn only has PRND21, but the Classic Industries website says that this car came with the PRND21 Slap Stik, i wanna know whats the difference between them, and see where can i buy the PRND21 lens
(i took the slap stik image from the internet, not mine)

prnd21 lens.jpg

slap stik lens.jpeg

I did a little research on this subject back in the day - So many theories with no definitive answers - Drive yourself nuts unless you are the original owner and nothing was replaced

Some of the answers

Remember E and B Bodies

Early 1970 cars had "Shift Gate" (Early Aug builds)
Sometime in late Aug or Sept it was removed and they were blank.
Later in Oct 69 "Slap Stik" started showing up.
In 1973 the Slap Stik was removed again.

How about a late production 1972 car ?

How about if the factory had more then one vendor making these , or the factory ran out and used whatever was available

Then you had the 1970 round ball hole for shifter black plastic bezel versus square hole on shifter black plastic for T Handle

IMG_0401.jpeg

IMG_0400.jpeg

Last edited:
I did a little research on this subject back in the day - So many theories with no definitive answers - Drive yourself nuts unless you are the original owner and nothing was replaced

Some of the answers

Remember E and B Bodies

Early 1970 cars had "Shift Gate" (Early Aug builds)
Sometime in late Aug or Sept it was removed and they were blank.
Later in Oct 69 "Slap Stik" started showing up.
In 1973 the Slap Stik was removed again.

How about a late production 1972 car ?

How about if the factory had more then one vendor making these , or the factory ran out and used whatever was available

Then you had the 1970 round ball hole for shifter black plastic bezel versus square hole on shifter black plastic for T Handle

View attachment 1728596

View attachment 1728597

Well, the car was bought in January 1972, I asked my dad if he knew something about this topic, and he said that the shifter, lens and bezels (the whole kit) its from a 77-79 Mexican Super Bee (Volare Road Runner in the US) so i guess i got my answer on why its different.
Our car has an engine and trans swap from another 78 Super Bee (installed by the previous owner) and now my question is, whats the meaning of slap stik, its just a model, or it has a function?
I was going crazy because i didnt found anything related and thought it was rare because the car was for the Mexican market
What i get for not asking first lol
Thanks a lot for your time and explanation

Slap Stik was the shifter mechanism installed in performance versions of Barracuda and Challenger, from 1970-on. When in DRIVE, the automatic transmission would shift normally though its 3 speeds. When shifting manually, starting in 1, the shifter will only shift to 2 with no possibility of an overshift to 3 or NEUTRAL. To shift to the next gear, pressure must be released on the shifter handle. A ratchet mechanism resets the shifter handle, and lets it go into 3 only. Pressure on the handle must again be relaxed to allow a shift to NEUTRAL. Without this Slap Stik mechanism, the non-performance shifter could easily be overshifted from 1, 2, 3, into NEUTRAL or REVERSE, while racing. I adapted one of these Slap Shift mechanisms into the shifter in my 1967 Coronet R/T. It works as intended, allowing only one shift at a time.

Auto Transport Service
Back