• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B Body wannaB

Bleep Bleep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
Hello. Thank you all for welcoming me into the group. I was referred here and look forward to learning a lot.

I’m dipping a toe into the classic MOPAR market. B bodies hold a special significance for me as my dad had been a Mopar guy since his first ever new car - ‘51 Coronet convertible, complete with fender skirts and large white walls. lol. This shot of my parents sitting on that huge hood after their honeymoon is priceless.

Finding a 69-70 Coronet big block 4 spd would be pretty cool! Im sure many would agree there are many B and E body options that could pretty awesome as well.

IMG_0652.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg

Welcome to FBBO from Georgia

Since I’m just starting my education and search, different site sources are slowly coming to light.

Besides joining FBBO, Im on Bring a Trailer, and a number of Mopar relevant fb and Reddit groups, and fb marketplace listings. I went to Mecum Harrisburg for the first time this summer but not sure if that environment is the best for a rookie buyer like myself?

Are there other specific sources of info or listings you think may be helpful?

Since I’m just starting my education and search, different site sources are slowly coming to light.

Besides joining FBBO, Im on Bring a Trailer, and a number of Mopar relevant fb and Reddit groups, and fb marketplace listings. I went to Mecum Harrisburg for the first time this summer but not sure if that environment is the best for a rookie buyer like myself?

Are there other specific sources of info or listings you think may be helpful?
Welcome to FBBO! This is a great resource for information.

If you are a first time rookie buyer, I highly suggest you bring someone knowledgeable with you to look at cars. Not only can they help you evaluate the car you are looking at, they can also be a "voice of reason" to make sure you don't get caught up in the hype and excitement and buy something that is too expensive or that has issues. And for god sakes, do not buy any car off the internet sight unseen.

IMHO, Mecum is the wrong environment for a rookie buyer. They get people caught up in the hype and the pressure is on to buy.

Duly noted gentlemen as for some dastardly reason I have a tendency to attract wretched hives of scum and villainy.

Not sure if this will sound like a good analogy, but like surrounding yourself with the right team is important for running a business, that’s what I’m trying to accomplish on this leap too. (if I can stiff arm that impulsive emotional side of me long enough).

Thanks again for the advice!

I went to Mecum Harrisburg for the first time this summer but not sure if that environment is the best for a rookie buyer like myself?
By all means go to auctions, but don't register as a buyer. Just go to experience the vibe and see what's going on. Look at the types of cars you might be interested in purchasing in the future. Take notes. Don't drink any alcohol.

Continue to go to more auctions, but not as a registered buyer.

Everything @HawkRod said in his earlier post.

In general, search the VIN in Google for cars you see advertised.

Ask questions if you're serious about a car you see advertised somewhere. Members here will provide unvarnished truths and opinions based on decades of experience. We do have biases for or against some models/years, but personal tastes are a factor.

Don't be put-off by blunt remarks we might make. For example, anything and everything thing I say about Facebook. In particular, my opinion of Facebook Marketplace.

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. Good luck with your search for a B-body. Unfortunately, your quest for a '68-'70 Coronet puts you into pretty expensive territory, as a first time buyer. The '66-'67 B bodies are still under-valued, and drive every bit as nicely as the newer ones. I know styling is subjective. I am a bit biased, as the owner of a '67 R/T. Whatever you purchase, it could cost you more this week than last, with the recent sale of the $3,000,000 Daytona.

IMG_3215.jpg

Welcome from NJ. Good luck with your search

The '66-'67 B bodies are still under-valued, and drive every bit as nicely as the newer ones.

I totally agree, but I'll add the performance-oriented '71-'74 B-body models are worth consideration too.

I have a bias for '71-'72 models from the '71-'74 range, but like the entire range.

I had literally been searching for years to find and purchase a '68 GTX when a nicely equipped 383 Magnum, 4 speed '70 Charger became available. A bolt out of the blue! I bought it after inspecting it; and my wife did not object.
:lol:
Purchased in 1985:)

You never know what might pop-up for sale!

Welcome to FBBO! This is a great resource for information.

If you are a first time rookie buyer, I highly suggest you bring someone knowledgeable with you to look at cars. Not only can they help you evaluate the car you are looking at, they can also be a "voice of reason" to make sure you don't get caught up in the hype and excitement and buy something that is too expensive or that has issues. And for god sakes, do not buy any car off the internet sight unseen.

IMHO, Mecum is the wrong environment for a rookie buyer. They get people caught up in the hype and the pressure is on to buy.
Understood and have been given the same advice repeatedly. I’m a skeptic by nature so makes perfect sense as a non-negotiable on my checklist.

With potential cars all over the country, and intentionally not wanting to limit to the local market, developing acceptable ways of finding out of state inspection sources closer to the sale location is another question that’s been on my mind.

Is it allowable on this site to seek out recommendations for experienced inspectors that may cover the seller’s local area one option I could lean on when needed? If so what sub forum is best?

Again, thanks for your insights here.

I totally agree, but I'll add the performance-oriented '71-'74 B-body models are worth consideration too.

I have a bias for '71-'72 models from the '71-'74 range, but like the entire range.

I had literally been searching for years to find and purchase a '68 GTX when a nicely equipped 383 Magnum, 4 speed '70 Charger became available. A bolt out of the blue! I bought it after inspecting it; and my wife did not object.
:lol:
Purchased in 1985:)

You never know what might pop-up for sale!

So true. I just have to corral the necessary patience and discipline! Lol

Thanks and faith that perfect car will happen for me too!

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. Good luck with your search for a B-body. Unfortunately, your quest for a '68-'70 Coronet puts you into pretty expensive territory, as a first time buyer. The '66-'67 B bodies are still under-valued, and drive every bit as nicely as the newer ones. I know styling is subjective. I am a bit biased, as the owner of a '67 R/T. Whatever you purchase, it could cost you more this week than last, with the recent sale of the $3,000,000 Daytona.
Interestingly, I came across a ‘67 Barracuda (A body?) on BaT auction recently. Customized for autocross with big hp but at least represented as street worthy. Respectfully, I haven’t been a big fan of pre-70s Cuda styling but this girl had some cosmetic updates that really caught my eye.
All that said, I would have ended up ignoring all the sage experience here if I pursued. Sure she made someone happy though.

Auto Transport Service
Back