• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back in the day

Conway was one of the best of all times.
my dad actually got to play guitar for him back in the very early 60's in Newport, Ky. His regular guitar player was sick, and my dad's friend ( the club owner ) recommend him to sit in... got to meet Conway several times, we always got comp tickets when he was in town up until the early 80's . one hell of a nice guy.

30742434_10155927631732713_980689623801121323_n.jpg

Wasn't the 1970 minimum wage $1.45? Makes the coffee look rather expensive. :)
Yeah I remember making $1.65 min. wage in like 1974-ish
15 y/o at Paul Peterson Shell,
plus bonus/perks & %'s for doing tune-ups & tires etc.

I remember 1984.

OH minimum wage was $3.35, and gas was $.82

I was an automotive lube technician (basically the guy in the pit that changed your oil ,lubed the chassis ) lol that was the title .
Made $4.00 an hour I was the best guy there and in charge of the pit monkeys as we were known as ..
Gas was $ .38 cents/litre or roughly $1.32 gallon here in Canada .

Speed Shop 70's II.jpg
Speed Shop 70's.jpg
speed shop w Hemi Display.jpg
Gulf Station 1970s.jpg

I remember very well. I had a job pumping gas for $3.35 + extra for tire and oil changes....

The 3 part carbon copy credit card slips with the manual credit card machines.

Full service pumps checking oil and cleaning windshields.

And the real lost art... Making change by counting back from the total....
It kills me today when the computer goes hay wire and the counter person looks dumbfounded because they don't know how to make change with out the machine telling them.

Or when I worked at Youngstown Speed and Custom and had looked the parts up manually in a catalog then had to look up the price in the price sheet. And then the hard part, we had to manually write everything out on a 3 part carbon copy invoice/Receipt.... Oh the manual labor.... wait for it... wait for it... then we had to punch the total in the cash register, I'm breaking a sweat just thinking about it.

It's wonder why I can remember that 99277-16 are Crane Hyd. Lifters for a Small Block Chevy and a 0-1850 is a Holley 600 vac. Secondary carb, MSD 6200 6AL box and the 7220's are 7AL's.. You learned to memorize part numbers. lol

Now the service stations are almost all gone and the Speeds Shops are almost a thing of the past....[/QUOTE]

Auto Transport Service
Back