• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best 72 charger exhaust

max 7

Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
I'm gonna be needing an exhaust system soon for my 72. I wanted to know what some more experienced guys thought was a great set up whether it be flowmaster or tti etc. the engine is a 340

I can tell you onething, there is not a perfect exhaust system. There are several things you need to decide on, before making a decision on exhaust.
Most importantly, how is big exhaust do you need?
What size primaries on headers, rule of thumb is 1 5/8 for stock or near stock, 1 3/4 for modded and 1 7/8 or bigger for wholly cow I am getting 2 mpg and a ton of HP.

Next, you need to determine the diameter of the exhaust, same rule of thumb as headers.

Do you want true duals, X pipe, H pipe, cats.

I had Hedman on my vette, loved them till I took out a primary on a bad pot hole, have Hooker now and HATE them, they are not well made.

Cuda has TTI, have not had it long enough to give you a good idea on them.

Would recommend that you get them either coated or use a real good ceramic paint.

Remember this sage advice, if you put to big a exhaust system on and you lose bottom end, too little and you lose topend.

I just installed the Accurate Exhaust on my '74 440. Not cheap, but 100% exact with the exception of adding their hemi mufflers. I have factory hp manifolds and pretty much anything else is designed for tube headers.

i think i'm just gonna get the summit exhaust system. i've heard it on a few 340s and it sound great

If you get a slip together exhaust from summit
just make sure its welded as well - dont trust those clamps to make a perfect seal

the perfect exhaust

It is great to hear from the different people about what exhaust is the best.I am brand new to this site and i hope i can lean on a member from time to time .I am disabled and i am restoring my 1973 Dodge Charger rallye with the help of a couple of friends.you really learn your limitations but being positive is the best medicine.
I want to put on a 2 1/2 exhaust with TTI headers (ball flange) , I have a x- pipe set up but it is 4 inch man is this huge.I want to know if anyone has used the band clamps and have good luck with them.I do realize that these beautiful Chargers to wiegh in a hefty amount and my car is a 340 car so to make a torque monster engine is the way I am looking to go.
I guess i will have to wait and see if i am going to put on the X pipe or the H pipe . I hope fully will have some pics of my car that is being re-done on a rotissierre ready for this 14X20 garage with heat . Can you say improvise .!!!!

Good choice to go with the tti headers- and not cheap..
Just ordered the 3" flowmaster for the 72 B body myself with flowmaster 40's

We have a '73 with a 400. It has dual 2 1/2" pipes with the standard (least expensive) flowmasters. It has Headmans. It's not nearly as loud as I figured it would be but it sounds sensational. I wasn't a big flowmaster fan, mainly because almost everybody has them. We put them on our SS (the charger came this way) and it drones at idle so we need to get an H pipe put in. Maybe that will help. The charger on the other hand is pretty darn quiet inside, sounds good outside and isn't annoying at all with no crossover pipe of any kind.

I was going to go with magnaflows but didn't because our local muffler guy (and hotrod club member) doesn't sell them. The a friend at work gave me some nearly new ultra-flows. I think I'll put them on the mach 1 to try out.

I guess I'm no help here as I've never used anything on these old cars but stock, glass packs and now flowmaster and have always run headmans except for an L82 I had years ago that had hooker side pipes. I've relaly never had an exhasut problem with any.

I also want to agree with; whatever you get, have it welded. And I may be wrong but its usually as cheap or cheaper to just go to a place that does this as it is to buy a kit that may or may not fit just right. Our local guy does a complete system with regular turbos (?) for around $250 and flowmasters and chrome tips run around $425. Not sure if that's high, low or normal but he does good work and is here in town.

If i were you i wouldn't consider flowmaster at least I didn't every motor with them sounds exactly the same with them, I'm going with a set of pypes violators very loud and raspy to wake the neighbors on the ride to work every morning and they have a much more unique sound than flowmasters also consider the magnaflow stingers they sound pretty wicked

I had the summit racing complete exhaust system headers and all in a 74 duster and I thought it sounded decent for having a stock 318 wish I still had the video of them or I would have posted it for you

My brother bought his exhaust from Summit, sounded good and you can't beat the price.

Auto Transport Service
Back