• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bummer! No oil Pressure

Yes; the needle never budged. Update from RockAuto says pump will be here tomorrow afternoon. I ordered it yesterday afternoon. I wish all the vendors had their $hit together as well as these guys. I have always been amazed at their delivery to Canada. I have had shipments from other vendors sit in Chicago international shipping centre for a week!

Man I've never had to 'pack the pump', just spun it by hand in some oil, bolted it on and that's all it needed. I think something else is going on. No resistance when priming, sounds like a plug got missed..

If you haven't removed the valve covers do so and make sure it didn't throw a lifter. One lifter out of its bore won't let her make any oil pressure. It will run quite also without any ticking. Depending on which cylinder it might even run smoothly without much of a miss.
Good luck Dave!

I am frustrated with all of you. You don’t need a new oil pump, you don’t need to open the oil pump and pack it with whatever, the lifter is not out of its bore.
what you have is the most common problem with a new build/ rebuild. You have a air pocket in the feed line to the oil pump. There is no place for that air to go so you get no oil to the pump etc. fix is simple and cheap. As in free. Loosen the filter slightly. this will let the air out. Prime the engine and get ready to tighten the filter fast, as the pump gets started it will make a big mess if you are too slow. That’s all you need to do. Even freiberger has mentioned this on roadkill as it is a very common problem in new builds. Forget the extra work, just loosen the filter.

I am frustrated with all of you. You don’t need a new oil pump, you don’t need to open the oil pump and pack it with whatever, the lifter is not out of its bore.
what you have is the most common problem with a new build/ rebuild. You have a air pocket in the feed line to the oil pump. There is no place for that air to go so you get no oil to the pump etc. fix is simple and cheap. As in free. Loosen the filter slightly. this will let the air out. Prime the engine and get ready to tighten the filter fast, as the pump gets started it will make a big mess if you are too slow. That’s all you need to do. Even freiberger has mentioned this on roadkill as it is a very common problem in new builds. Forget the extra work, just loosen the filter.
It's NOT a new build/rebuild. Quote OP: " I don't think the engine has 10,000 miles on it since a quality rebuild. "

Did ya happen to bar the engine over to line up the cam bearing and oil passages through the heads?

My new Mellings pump came today from Dallas. Pretty well 48 hours from when I ordered it. Amazing! You ROCK, RockAuto.
I plan to install the new pump this weekend and will let you know how it all works out.
Thanks to all who have taken the time to offer me suggestions for my oil pressure problem. This is exactly why I joined.

I was turning my new pump over by hand with a 3/16" allen wrench and noticed a couple of spots where I could feel slight metal to metal drag. Is this normal with a new pump, or should I be worried? I am planning on packing it and priming with STP. I will also do oil filter burp. Thanks again for everyone's input.

I was turning my new pump over by hand with a 3/16" allen wrench and noticed a couple of spots where I could feel slight metal to metal drag. Is this normal with a new pump, or should I be worried? I am planning on packing it and priming with STP. I will also do oil filter burp. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Yes many advise on new pumps not being clean enough, so take it apart and rinse it out.
Stp would be perfect.

I took the old pump off yesterday. Did the Canadian Thanksgiving thing with my daughter's family today, so tomorrow the new pump goes on and maybe fire-up day! I'll keep you guys posted.

Finally! Oil pressure is back! It has been quite a journey. I installed the new Mellings oil pump, filled it and Fram filter with STP, and tried to prime the engine with no success. The red dash oil light stayed on, and the aftermarket mechanical gauge under the dash showed no pressure. This was not the result I had hoped for.
Next, I drained the oil and pulled the oil pan. The oil pick-up tube was tight in the block, but I removed it for a closer inspection. Upon looking the tube over closey, it looked to be bent/kinked at the screen end. I sourced a good used tube from a friend and installed it. I put a blob of PlayDoh on the bottom of the sump, and pushed the oil pan up into place, to check position of pick-up screen. This showed a measurement of 7/16" , which I figured was fine. The pan went back on, and a new Fram filter went on. I wondered if I might have plugged the previous filter with heavy STP.
With my wife turning the key to spin the engine on the starter, and watching both the red light and the aftermarket oil pressure gauge, I spun the pump CCW with my drill motor. My wife reported that the red light never went out, and no pressure showed on the gauge. This was not good. At this point, I just walked away from the car for about a week.
About 10 says ago, a couple of friends stopped in to see how I was making out with my Polara. Both of the guys are Hemi NSS racers that build their own engines and are very knowledgable on big blocks. I told them what I had being going through trying to get some oil pressure. By this time, I had removed the fitting and plastic tube that fed the under dash oil pressure gauge, due to a leak I had found there, and replaced the gallery plug. These guys pulled one rocker stand off. One guy ran the drill motor while I turned the engine over with the starter. The other friend verified that there was oil at the rockers. Next, the plug was removed from the port that had supplied the aftermarket oil gauge, and we repeated our test. My friend verified that oil squirted out here. They suggested that I plumb a mechanical gauge to this port to verify what oil pressure I actually had. They also suggested that I get a new switch for the red dash light. With all this spinning of the pump, the red light had continued to stay on. One of the friends also suggested using a Wix filter instead of a Fram, since he had seen too many Fram filter failures at the track in his years of racing. Pulling both the valve covers verified that there was nothing wrong with the valve train. All the lifters and push rods were right where they were supposed to be.

The next week, I installed a new 100 psi. oil-filled mechanical gauge. I swapped the Fram filter for a new Wix filter, half filled with oil. With my wife again turning the engine over with the starter, I spun the oil pump with my drill motor. The oil pressure pumped right up to 75 psi. and stayed there as long as I operated the drill. I stopped the drill, and the pressure returned to 0. My wife reported that the red light went off when I started the drill, and came back on when I stopped. This was with the original pressure switch! I had not gotten around to changing it yet. So my red Idiot light had been telling the truth all along. When it indicated that I did not have oil pressure, I REALLY did not have any! The only thing I did before this test, was switch the Fram filter for a new Wix. Through the course of this exercise, I had no less than 3 new Fram filters on the engine, and it would not pump oil pressure. No more Fram for me. I have used them for years in my other cars with no problems, but no more. This experience has cost me a month of time, and about $400. Next is making another appointment to get my exhaust on.

Orange Can Bad!
download.jpg

Not saying Fram is the best.. but in the back lizard brain one would be thinking, " wait, how can oil not flow through 3 filters in a row?".
Need 1 of those buddy's to cut them open and see.

Good to hear it's pressured up.

There has to be a reason that the filters were not functioning correctly. Please analyze it and let us know why. I am sure that we all have used plenty of Fram filters in our lives without a problem.

Not saying Fram is the best.. but in the back lizard brain one would be thinking, " wait, how can oil not flow through 3 filters in a row?".
Need 1 of those buddy's to cut them open and see.

Good to hear it's pressured up.
My thoughts as well. But that is what happened.

There's no telling how many oil filters, all brands, I've used thru decades of tinkering and never had one kill the pressure. I hope you get a chance to cut all 3 apart and find a cause. Glad your running.

Auto Transport Service
Back