• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't go anywhere anymore

I am glad this only happens in the cities. But why is it assumed farmers markets are only for the poor?
As with any market it should be open to all if public funds are involved. But as we all know anytime our goverment steps in, be it as little as funding. Those needing assistance the most are left in the cold.
I am not refuring to those carrying the goverment card.

I am glad this only happens in the cities. But why is it assumed farmers markets are only for the poor?
As with any market it should be open to all if public funds are involved. But as we all know anytime our goverment steps in, be it as little as funding. Those needing assistance the most are left in the cold.
I am not refuring to those carrying the goverment card.

The purest concept of the farmers' market cuts out the middleman, makes the products more affordable and strengthens a community - ideal for any close-knit community, but these are all benefits to help bolster neighborhoods that are not as financially well-off. The whole crux of the journal article is that thinly-veiled commercial ventures are hijacking the concept and the city aid to turn "farmers' markets" into cash cows.

Your point about this happening "in the cities" is quite true though - for most of the rural members here, politicization of a farmers' markets isn't even a "thing."

-Kurt

We go occasionally to the one locally. About all produce is grown locally and space for whom ever gets there first.
You can find anything from garden fresh veggies to the last litter of unwanted puppies. All depends on what comes in.

We go occasionally to the one locally. About all produce is grown locally and space for whom ever gets there first.
You can find anything from garden fresh veggies to the last litter of unwanted puppies. All depends on what comes in.

Now that's a farmers' market. Kinda like a garage sale with edible stuff too.

We've got a few locally, but at least one of them is just a place for the city's elected officials to schmooze their rich friends - it takes place on the sidewalk next to city hall.

-Kurt

Now that's a farmers' market. Kinda like a garage sale with edible stuff too.

We've got a few locally, but at least one of them is just a place for the city's elected officials to schmooze their rich friends - it takes place on the sidewalk next to city hall.

-Kurt
Aren't those called tax actions?

Interestingly, most if not all of the local farmer's markets here in the Pittsburgh area accept EBT cards (food stamps). So... they are keeping minorities out? Hardly.

Interestingly, most if not all of the local farmer's markets here in the Pittsburgh area accept EBT cards (food stamps). So... they are keeping minorities out? Hardly.
Most here do not except an EBT or credit cards. Cash, barter or walk.

To Whom It May Concern...You Know Who You Are...

w99njvE.jpg

Everyone needs to take note here - this is not a Political discussion. It was started as a non-political discussion...please keep it that way.
All and any references to Government or naming politicians will result in deletions - no questions asked anymore.
Remember, I can delete posts faster than you guys can type the replies.
I have better things to do than to play Policeman over petty squabbles. :p

Auto Transport Service
Back