• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coil Suggestion

What size, type fasteners are used to mount the coil bracket onto the factory intake?

They are black oxide 5/16 coarse thread with a captive washer. Length is about 1/2” IIRC…

IMG_4791.jpeg

Thank you!! Beautiful engine btw!
UPDATE: I installed a factory, round ignition coil, took it out around town for about 25 miles and it's running great. Only thing is my factory temp gauge is no longer working now, maybe I bumped a wire off, have to check over the weekend.

UPDATE: I installed a factory, round ignition coil, took it out around town for about 25 miles and it's running great. Only thing is my factory temp gauge is no longer working now, maybe I bumped a wire off, have to check over the weekend.
Water temperature sensor located top of water pump housing, single female bullet connector.
Most likely U bumped it off changing the coil..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

Water temperature sensor located top of water pump housing, single female bullet connector.
Most likely U bumped it off changing the coil..

Absolutely correct!! Connected it, temp gauge back to working!

Actually the purpose of the condenser in a points distributor was not to limit radio static interference but...
To control and minimize the arcing of the points contacts, everytime there is an arc the points get a small buildup of material that eventually can/will cause the points to fail..

The purpose of the condenser (aka capacitor) in a conventional ignition system is to absorb the voltage generated by the PRIMARY WINDING of the coil when the points open during the ignition cycle. First, the points close, current and volts flow into the PRIMARY WINDING of the coil, generating the magnetic energy used to make the spark. When the points OPEN. the magnetic field generated when the points were closed, collapses or dissipates, inducing the high voltage secondary windings to produce the voltage for the spark plugs.....AND SIMULTANEOUSLY, the collapsing magnetic field generates or induces ~ 200 volts back in the primary winding (the same winding that created the field). The condenser absorbs this induced voltage and dissipate it to ground. This induced voltage, over time, causes the points contact surface area to deteriorate. The points are made from a tungsten alloy, making them somewhat resistant to arc corrosion and erosion. This induced primary 200 volts is due to INDUCTIVE REACTANCE, present in all inductive coupled devices (the coil), which is why the coil and condenser must be compatible, likewise, the coil needs the proper ballast resistor to limit the voltage and current to the coil, to a compatible value, to not overload the points (or electronic ignition system devices). Thus is the reason for not arbitrarily mix matching components......this is my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON

The purpose of the condenser (aka capacitor) in a conventional ignition system is to absorb the voltage generated by the PRIMARY WINDING of the coil when the points open during the ignition cycle. First, the points close, current and volts flow into the PRIMARY WINDING of the coil, generating the magnetic energy used to make the spark. When the points OPEN. the magnetic field generated when the points were closed, collapses or dissipates, inducing the high voltage secondary windings to produce the voltage for the spark plugs.....AND SIMULTANEOUSLY, the collapsing magnetic field generates or induces ~ 200 volts back in the primary winding (the same winding that created the field). The condenser absorbs this induced voltage and dissipate it to ground. This induced voltage, over time, causes the points contact surface area to deteriorate. The points are made from a tungsten alloy, making them somewhat resistant to arc corrosion and erosion. This induced primary 200 volts is due to INDUCTIVE REACTANCE, present in all inductive coupled devices (the coil), which is why the coil and condenser must be compatible, likewise, the coil needs the proper ballast resistor to limit the voltage and current to the coil, to a compatible value, to not overload the points (or electronic ignition system devices). Thus is the reason for not arbitrarily mix matching components......this is my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON
BOB..
Many thanx for that detailed explanation...

Auto Transport Service
Back