• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant in oil, fresh build

Am in thinking that coolant in the combustion chamber doesn’t necessarily mean you will get coolant in the o
Any coolant that enters the cylinder will find its way past the rings and into the oil pan and this breech is large. Another bad thing is hydro locking the cylinder and bending the rod.

With new heads, ARP bolts, HP gaskets, the lack of a complete gasket imprint on the head leads me to believe that the block is not level. Was the block milled? The other glaring thing I see with that gasket is that the fire ring in the last cylinder is broken (due to being crushed from pre-ignition or over torquing head bolts). Once broken, the head gasket gets blown out and you have a direct path for coolant to go from the water jacket into the cylinder.

Sorry the previous picture was after some cleaning. This pic is immediately after I pulled the head. The block was milled and I did put my straight edge on the block but I could only get one angle foe measurement, again .002" gauge couldn't get under anywhere. Preignition is possible as I was tuning the carb (Edelbrock 1407) up until this point, I definitely did hear pinging initially before I did my adjustments.

So can I chalk this up to bad carb tuning and throw everything back together?

PXL_20240608_232453265.jpg

Sorry the previous picture was after some cleaning. This pic is immediately after I pulled the head. The block was milled and I did put my straight edge on the block but I could only get one angle foe measurement, again .002" gauge couldn't get under anywhere. Preignition is possible as I was tuning the carb (Edelbrock 1407) up until this point, I definitely did hear pinging initially before I did my adjustments.

View attachment 1676930
You’re positive it was just leaking at the head gasket?

View attachment 1676930
In this pic, you can see where the breech was @ ~2 o'clock. I your earlier pics, I assume that is where the large grey spot is. Just ensure that there is no damage to the head where the gasket blew, and I am sure you will be fine. When you re-install the heads, follow the ARP instructions and make sure you use the proper ARP thread Assembly lube. If you do not have any more, buy some. The torque specs listed are for their assembly lube and NOT regular oil. Regular oil will require a different torque amount for proper assembly. I believe you said you were using head bolts, so make sure that the chamfer on the washer is placed towards the bolt head.

Shoot the 1009s I just got hang over into the cylinder, I don't understand why motors only .030" over so that puts me at 4.350 and the 1009s are supposedly 4.410...
Ordering the 8519PT for now I guess, seems like others have had luck with them.

PXL_20240611_021009843.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back