• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy electrical question.

haven68

Local time
10:18 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1969 coronet that I have recently purchased. I’ve been going through all the bugs and surprises. I have one I’ve never experienced before. Engine running, push the cigarette lighter in, engine shuts off. Take it out car starts back up. This car was done very nicely originally, along the way there has been some interesting fixes or changes. Any ideas? At some point I will pull the dash apart and see what’s what. Trying to at least cruise the car for the summer before having to tear apart the dash.
Thank you

First thought is someone tied the lighter to the ignition circuit. Push the lighter in, element goes to ground and kills the feed to the coil.

First buy a quick disconnect for the battery. Disconnect it when your not driving. The cigarette wire should be connected to I believe a red 3 plug. Pull ash tray and look in and you should see it. Might be hooked to something else and grounding it out. JMO

Call the person you bought it from. I like that if its true.

Bought the car at an auction, no luck contacting previous owner. Guy that brought to auction knew very little about it. I’m thinking it’s a ground issue, but thought I’d throw it out there. I will try the suggestions until I find the culprit. I’ll let you know once I do.
Thanks

Lighter element could be shorted internally, drawing excess current, dragging down ign voltage.

Auto Transport Service
Back