• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daily driving with a 3.5” front wheel= sketchy?

Took to a couple of cruise nights last week. No issues.

Screenshot_20240610_213533_Messages.jpg

20240717_172121.jpg

Of course there won't be a problem if you have no issues and people driving around you are cooperating. What happens when a traffic issue happens? The streets are full of idiot drivers and it'd be a shame to have a wreck because the car understeered or over-corrected or couldn't stop fast enough. Another way to rephrase this is, if tire width and road contact didn't really matter, why put super-wide tires on the rear of a drag car? :) Just playing logical devil's advocate.

EDIT: Here's a more in-depth article discussing "slip angle":

Tyre dynamics

To put it more simply, the slip angle, or the chance that a tire will slip instead of grip when turning, is a factor of contact patch, among other things. A few other considerations: I'm not a drag racer but not only are those pizza cutter tires very narrow, but they are also high profile, which means the sidewalls will likely deflect more in a hard-turning situation than a narrow but lower-profile tire. And lastly, the risk of oversteer increases when the rear tire width/contact patch is significantly wider than the front.

None of this may matter until you have to make a sudden evasive maneuver. ;)

Last edited:
No
Of course there won't be a problem if you have no issues and people driving around you are cooperating. What happens when a traffic issue happens? The streets are full of idiot drivers and it'd be a shame to have a wreck because the car understeered and couldn't turn or stop fast enough. Another way to rephrase this is, if tire width and road contact didn't really matter, why put super-wide tires on the rear of a drag car? :) Just playing logical devil's advocate.
Of course there won't be a problem if you have no issues and people driving around you are cooperating. What happens when a traffic issue happens? The streets are full of idiot drivers and it'd be a shame to have a wreck because the car understeered and couldn't turn or stop fast enough. Another way to rephrase this is, if tire width and road contact didn't really matter, why put super-wide tires on the rear of a drag car? :) Just playing logical devil's advocate.
Not a problem there either. I just throw the chute.... lol.

20240609_122338.jpg

4 1/2's and VW tires. (165-80/15's) I don't Rally race with them on. Curves on the highway? I take it easy.

2.20.22c.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back