• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Definitive guide for 1970 Charger - colors of all things

rklewis1005

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:30 PM
Reaction score
All, is there a book / site I should be buying to research the color of all the parts/brackets/etc on my 1970 Charger SE? I know the interior and exterior colors based on the car and fender tags, but it's all the engine brackets, suspension, brake drums, and misc parts where I need some clarity.

As I've been disassembling all the rusted parts, I see traces of Red, Black, and Grey. Is there a "restoration" or rulebook on what parts should be what color? When the car goes off to the shop for the metal/body/paint work, I want to go through all my parts and clean/paint/powder coat what I can save and replace what can't be saved. I want to be sure I get it it right the first time! I'm going for "how it came from the factory" not hot rodding it or changing colors. If not, I can simply post a part color question of the day here - but guessing you will all get tired of that eventually.

Thanks,
Ross

No rulebook, per se. Although MMC Detroit David Wise markets publications that attempt to describe many of the fasteners we encounter during a restoration. They are, sadly, incomplete, but the best docs we have to date.

The fasteners (the bolts, and nuts, and what not) only had a small number of finishes from the factory: Silver zinc-plating, yellow cadmium plating, and black-oxide plating (often surface-oiled).

Suspension parts and engine brackets were often painted black, semi-gloss black. But 50-years later, these semi-gloss blacks can look flat-finish. Some parts were bare metal (iron, steel), such as the front drum and some disc brake parts.

Document all of the parts and assemblies as the car comes apart. With todays cameras on the cell phones, it makes the process much simpler. Variations between assembly plants to production dates can impact the materials used, coatings and finishes. Many of the cars that are restored today have markings that were never there from day one. People see it on a restoration and assume that it is correct. Just go by what you see on your car.

The Dave Wise series of books are very good. Some areas are detailed more than others, but still a great source of information. They are pricey, but when looking at the cost of restorations, it is just a fraction of the cost.

Document all of the parts and assemblies as the car comes apart. With todays cameras on the cell phones, it makes the process much simpler. Variations between assembly plants to production dates can impact the materials used, coatings and finishes. Many of the cars that are restored today have markings that were never there from day one. People see it on a restoration and assume that it is correct. Just go by what you see on your car.

The Dave Wise series of books are very good. Some areas are detailed more than others, but still a great source of information. They are pricey, but when looking at the cost of restorations, it is just a fraction of the cost.
Oh I have hundreds/possibly thousands of pictures as I've disassembled it. I've seen several colors including red. I want to be sure the colors match how it came from the factory. I'll get one of those books as a start.

Auto Transport Service
Back