• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

disposing of used engine oil.

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
This is a solution that Popular Science recommended in 1963 for disposing of used engine oil.

Popular-Science-Oil-Change-Tip.jpg

It's best to burn old newspapers and magazines that have been soaked in used engine oil. That way nothing goes into the landfill.
:rolleyes:

I dilute it with gas 50% and use a pump up sprayer as wood treatment for my stockade fencing around my shop. Grass still grows under the fence...Gives the fence a nice stained look. If fence doesn't need it I mix it 50/50 with diesel and spray my asphalt millings driveway . Grass doesn't grow through it.

Last edited:
Hmm--recycling oil back to where it came from?--:wtf:

I have a self oil changing car. You know that oil streak you see down the center of the lane, that's my car. No need to change the oil, just keep adding as needed.

Back when I worked at the local Dodge dealership we took all the used oil/gasoline cleaning solution and drain oil out back and threw it down the bank-in the downtown area. One block from the river. This went on for many decades. I don't like to think about it.
Mike

a lot of shops around here burn it for heat, I drop mine off at a body shop down the road. in 5 gallon drywall buckets.

I did exactly that in the mid 70's but it would full up pretty fast in this gumbo dirt we have around here....especially when you are changing oil it 3 or 4 cars. If you have a well, it might not be the best idea.

i go thru about (20) 55 gal drums of compressor oil annually. i dump whatever small amount i personally generate in. i call an oil service to haul it out. dont know or care what they do with it

Biodiesel/bioheat is plant based.

I heat my entire shop with waste oil. The gas company keeps making "surprise" inspections on the main to make sure I'm not stealing their gas. Every time, I take them back to the heater.:icon_fU:

I’ve got an old 1000 gal LP tank I use for waste oil. When it gets full I sell it to the recyclers, they come and pump it out.

I have a self oil changing car. You know that oil streak you see down the center of the lane, that's my car. No need to change the oil, just keep adding as needed.
You probably change the oil 2 quarts at a time daily, right?

Curbside pick up here in San Jose. They provide jugs and bags for the filter.

It's best to burn old newspapers and magazines that have been soaked in used engine oil. That way nothing goes into the landfill.
:rolleyes:
That's what Homie does here, makes oil & newspaper logs.

but it would full up pretty fast in this gumbo dirt we have around here
Not quite sure what "gumbo dirt" is, but it makes me think of my property here in South Louisiana. There is so much clay in my soil that during the rainy, cold (for the South) weeks of winter my yard never dries out! No place for the water to go.
BTW, back in my late teens early 20s I was in great shape and worked in a shipyard in Pasadena for about a month as a deckhand. One night me and the other 2 deckhands decided to WALK to the nearest bar...I should have thought about the "quality" of any bar within walking distance of a shipyard...Anyway we walked into the first bar we found and were in the middle of it when I realized that the lyrics of the music playing were being sung in Spanish. Then I looked at the patrons and we were the ONLY non-hispanic people in the bar. We decided to leave and I quickly figured out that there weren't going to be any "nice" places to go within walking distance. Gilley's was not far, but I went back to the boat. I felt like Superman back then busting my *** at work, in good shape and had been training for 2 years+ 5 days a week in martial arts so it's probably better I didn't go to Gilley's or I may have wound up in jail.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back