• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor cap question

I personally use a sales brochure as a general guide for restoration. In this case for a '68.
20240803_093913~2.jpg

To me general rule of thumb is Autolite/Prestolite distributors have black caps and Chrysler have tan caps.
Thank you, very interesting info, Now, I'll have to go and find out what kind of distributor I have in my 69 Charger w/383 Magnum.
Tks,
Bob32268

Thank you, very interesting info, Now, I'll have to go and find out what kind of distributor I have in my 69 Charger w/383 Magnum.
Tks,
Bob32268
Very likely it's a single point Mopar. The Prestolite dual point distributors were on the Hemi and 6 barrel engines usually but there are exceptions. Just my opinion
BOB RENTON

My 1967 Plymouth Sport Fury, 440 375HP, that I purchased new in Feb 1967 had a dual point distributor and tan cap.

Very likely it's a single point Mopar. The Prestolite dual point distributors were on the Hemi and 6 barrel engines usually but there are exceptions. Just my opinion
BOB RENTON
Bob Yes almost always and also 361, 383, 413, 426, 440 Generation 1 hemi and LA 273, 340.

Last edited:
When I worked at Dodge dealership back ' 69- '70, I remember tan caps as performance. Prestolite dual points. Also, when black oil filled coils failed, replaced with tan epoxy coils.

Bob Yes almost always and also 361, 383, 413, 426, 440 Generation 1 hemi and LA 273, 340.
Ray.....thanks for the update......I should have re membered that i used s 235hp/273 (Barracuda Formula S) distributor on my '67 Beleveder II LA 318 (also the 4bbl single plane intake manifold, Carter 3854S carb, cam, lifters, rocker srms), A727A TF trans, and 3:55 8-3/4" SG rear ....car ran extremely well....dusted off a few Csmeros, some 383 Road Runners, Ford Mustangs. Distributor had a black cap.....cheers
BOB RENTON

Bob as you know been doing this a while. Crazy how many different Mopar oem caps there are made in the past.

Auto Transport Service
Back