• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor Swap

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
I am in need of a new distributor for my 62’ 361/4. Motor is basically stock, stock cam etc. Currently has dual points but I can’t find anyplace that sells dual point for a B engine. What would I lose using a single point distributor? Would it be noticeable? I really don’t want to move to electronic as I want to keep the stock look in the engine bay.

Single point distributor would be fine for a basically stock engine. If you're not racing I doubt if you'd notice any difference. The original engine that was in my '62, 361 hp 4bbl only had the single point dizzy.

If it's a Presolite cast iron dual distributor ask 66 to 69 426 hemi points and condensor. Guys have said use your old condensor. Parts books/computors may not even have 361's.

I’ve spoken with Ray at Halifax. He does have several duals that are ready to go but I’m seeing single point distributors for 1/3 the price. I’m just not sure I really need the dual point for my car. While my engine is stock I also don’t want to lose the performance that I’ve had.

Had one of these pertronix in an old Triumph. Now I have one in an early Rover V8. Everything is under the stock cap, never a hiccup
Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 7.55.44 PM.png

PerTronix 1361A Ignitor Points Eliminator Kit, 1960-72 Mopar 6 Cyl.

Unless your engine needs to rev past 5500 rpm, there is probably no benefit with a DP over a SP dist.

Auto Transport Service
Back