• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever see a Black Superbird?

Not a Superbird, but for decades growing up, I watched the Harlow Tire Daytona come and go, sit in front of the dealership, and eventually get sold. Every car guy in the tri-county area wanted that car, some like me still do!

View attachment 1015355
Yes, I remember it like it was yesterday. Seen it dozens of times just like you have it pictured. Tried to buy it myself but it was always not for sale. Once it did sell I heard Galen Governor himself got involved or owned it at one time after Harlow sold it.
How's the GTX holding up??? Come on spring and the cruise nights.

Yes, I remember it like it was yesterday. Seen it dozens of times just like you have it pictured. Tried to buy it myself but it was always not for sale. Once it did sell I heard Galen Governor himself got involved or owned it at one time after Harlow sold it.
How's the GTX holding up??? Come on spring and the cruise nights.

The GTX has gone on to a new home, replaced by a 70 Roadrunner. All is good in my garage, and I’m with you, spring can’t come quick enough around here either!

Yes, i have seen a Black Superbird.
Back in the later 70's, earlier 80's time frame, a friend of mine had one in black, running around town, here in Sacramento, CA. and raced at Sacramento Raceway.
Steve D. was well known with that car, and the Mopar parts selling business that he had, and repair shop.

Yes, i have seen a Black Superbird.
Back in the later 70's, earlier 80's time frame, a friend of mine had one in black, running around town, here in Sacramento, CA. and raced at Sacramento Raceway.
Steve D. was well known with that car, and the Mopar parts selling business that he had, and repair shop.
I have pics of that car.
Yes
Steve Dipold out of Lake Tahoe and then opened a shop out by Pick N Pull.
That car was factory lime light.
It had just got out of the paint shop at the Chrysler dealer In Tahoe where he worked and got hit on the way home. He wanted to be sure the car was straight so he had them redo it in black.
He wasn’t afraid to beat on that car either.
V code A-34 car.

Before it was repainted or hit.

6DF15BC6-0DDE-4E90-BF77-E281F64BEC8A.jpeg

YEARS ago, at a Bird meet in NC.

I saw a black Superbird , tan Plymouth lettering and tan vinyl top .

Car looked killer , never saw it again

Vinyl top around the rear window looks a little funny, too.

Is it just me, or does this look like a 2-door post car (coupe) instead of a hardtop? All real Superbirds were hardtops. It even looks to have the chrome button at the back of the rear side glass that attaches the pop-out window catch.
Yep, clone. I'd still park it in my driveway......
(Probably get it painted tho. I hate having black cars. They're fine, as long as they belong to someone else)

Last edited:
As I posted in a reply to the YouTube video in that article, I saw a black Superbird at a show here in the mid 90s. It was at a Mopar show in Oak Brook Terrace. I was told later the car was owned by the owner of Midwest Car Exchange which is in the south burbs, Alsip I think.
The guy supposedly has a few nice Mopars but never takes them out, but might be on display at his dealership.

Is it just me, or does this look like a 2-door post car (coupe) instead of a hardtop? All real Superbirds were hardtops. It even looks to have the chrome button at the back of the rear side glass that attaches the pop-out window catch.
It pretty, but bogus. It’s a made up replica.

There’s one at MCACN. I think it’s the one in post #113.

Auto Transport Service
Back