• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For all of You Train Lovers

1725605148365.gif

This is what happens when you pump out a tank car but forget to open a relief vent to prevent vacuum buildup.
1725605603729.gif

This is what happens when you pump out a tank car but forget to open a relief vent to prevent vacuum buildup.
View attachment 1722491

I've seen that done to food grade tank trucks on purpose.

Because there was a roach problem at the unloading facility and the stainless steel trailer was "only" worth $60,000 but the cargo was worth $700,000 and a production schedule.

To be fair, most of them only got small implosion dents here and there, but some did crush pretty well down, making them unusable.

View attachment 1722491
Are those videos in real time? They weren't on train tracks when imploded, correct?
It is interesting I believe how apparent it is how much stronger/thicker the tank car end caps are proven to be in these videos, being they are designed to resist puncture damage in train mishaps.

Last edited:
Are those videos in real time?
It is interesting I believe how apparent it is how much stronger/thicker the tank car end caps are proven to be in these videos, being they are designed to resist puncture damage in train mishaps.
Yes, real time. The internal pressure drops until it reaches the tipping point and rapidly collapses. Sometimes the whole car jumps up, including the wheels. I would imagine that a submarine that exceeded it's pressure depth could implode with the same rapidity.

The end caps aren't thicker than the walls of the tank, the outward convex shape adds some strength. By regulation, these tank cars have a minimum wall thickness of 7/16 inch, or 11.1 millimeters to comply with DOT-111 tank car rules.

Yes, real time. The internal pressure drops until it reaches the tipping point and rapidly collapses. Sometimes the whole car jumps up, including the wheels. I would imagine that a submarine that exceeded it's pressure depth could implode with the same rapidity.

The end caps aren't thicker than the walls of the tank, the outward convex shape adds some strength. By regulation, these tank cars have a minimum wall thickness of 7/16 inch, or 11.1 millimeters to comply with DOT-111 tank car rules.
Thank you.
At my recent visit to the extensive train exhibit in St Louis, the posted signage on tanker cars mentioned over the years they had upgraded the end cap requirements on tankers for reasons I mentioned, I don't recall if that also included the entire tank. This wood steel strapped tanker also caught my eye.

IMG_4689.JPG

IMG_4690.JPG

Thank you.
At my recent visit to the extensive train exhibit in St Louis, the posted signage on tanker cars mentioned over the years they had upgraded the end cap requirements on tankers for reasons I mentioned, I don't recall if that also included the entire tank. This wood steel strapped tanker also caught my eye.

View attachment 1722704

View attachment 1722705
That's an interesting wooden tank car. These days vinegar is transported in standard tanks lined with plastic, or stainless tanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back