• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freeze Plug Popped Into Block

IMG_4560.gif

No amount of magnets will get that plug out if it's made of brass. Just saying. :poke:

Well, replacing freeze plugs, all going well then of course the last one got sideways on me and dropped into the block. Rear driver side. Can't see it or get to it. Tried with a telescoping magnet but no luck. Guess I'm gonna have to leave it in there. I'm hoping it wont to cause any blockage in coolant flow. Anyone have any experience with this?

As dumb luck would have it, I bent a piece of thick wire and scraped around in the only direction it really could have gone and waddya' know, I snagged it and pulled it up to the hole. I have a magnet on it to keep it up there untill I get back out to the location next weekend. Gonna bring my dremel and cut into it so I can twist it out of there. Can't belive it!

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions. Otherwise, I would have just left it in there.

Two pairs of needle nose vise grips and you should be able to cup it enough to extract.
Interesting you suggest that because that is what I was trying to do then it sprung out from one of the vise grips and shot outa sight! I don't want to test my luck with this again so gona try to cut into it then twist it to get a better grip on it an get it out. Keep in mind this isn't one of the old plugs, this is a new steel one I was trying to put in so it isn't very flexible and won't bend out of shape easily.

Also make sure it's the correct Mopar size, 1 41/64". Not 1 5/8" which is Chebby, is included with many freeze plug packs and is just a touch smaller.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back