• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel gauge crazy!!!!!

prhousejr

Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
Hello, it is me again with yet another electrical question.......

My fuel gauge works....then it dont.....then it does but reads wrong........
Yesterday it was working, and I was working around the dash and turned the flashers on to see if they worked. When I turned the flashers on the fuel gauge went dead. Turned the flashers off, fuel gauge worked. I am an electrical hater, wished I would have payed more attention to my dad when he was living on electrical troubleshooting. I have exhausted everything I know. Right now the gauge is working, but I am scared to put the dash back together, because I know as soon as I do..................HELP PLEASE.:confused:

dirty ground on the tank sender unit is a popular culprit. as soon as the unlearned unknowing like myself posts, some learned tech will speak up to correct me. either way you get your answer lol.

I know you have a pic of a runner or Satellite as your avatar, but it would be a big help if you told us what, exactly, you were working on.

just a thought

I know you have a pic of a runner or Satellite as your avatar, but it would be a big help if you told us what, exactly, you were working on.

just a thought

YA RECKON??? LOL.
:grin:
it is a 68 Sport Satellite. Here is what I have finally found. I pulled the dash apart, took the cluster apart, and went to cleaning. I cleaned all the contacts, made sure everything was tight, made sure the cluster was grounded to the dash good, and WA-LA fixed. I turned the key on and of probably 200 times. Worked every time. I will say an extra prayer that it is still working in the morning. Thanks for you guys help.:yes:

Glad to hear it, and make damn sure you say some extra prayers!!

Still works!!!!! Might be safe to put the dash together. I think I will give it a couple of days.:grin:

Auto Transport Service
Back