• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel tank venting issues.

96Formula6sp

Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

We're at a lemons race and having major issues with our gas tank venting. Our tank is a four line setup. The car was a Cali emissions car but the vapor box is gone. Currently we have a rubber line from the tank to the top of the trunk. Picture will be attached. We are using one of the smaller 5/16 vent lines. We have found the other three pour gas out with the gas cap on and you slosh the car. Around.

So questions here. How would you vent the tank with no factory parts. Plan is to pull the sending unit out and see where each nipple goes.

Does anyone have a fuel vent diagram. Granted it could be a federal car at this point.

PXL_20240420_205650751.jpg

From the factory service manual. You will see that you need to plug the other three to stop gas sloshing out. Your setup is not ideal, but for now, so long as yoy have a vent on one, you should be ok. The system is designed so the tank can vent no matter what angle the car is at. One of the lines is a drain back line as well.
20240404_084009.jpg

If you can use one out of a 70 b body, I have an extra trunk vapor separator like in the diagram. Came out of a 70 charger that I've been saving for a rainy day. If you want to buy it, PM me. It looks similar to the first pic in this a body thread:
71 duster fuel tank pipe work question.

So we have sourced a loaner 73? B body vapor canister. Going to try that. Switched the fuel pump out but still getting the same pressure. Hopefully we will find out soon.

So found what we need. This solved all the issues. So looks like we are on the hunt for one at some point. Might be 71-72 only. Will have to do some research.

PXL_20240421_204902082.jpg

PXL_20240421_204907445.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back